Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Stacking images

1. Oct 10, 2018 #1
    Hey!

So, I took images of NGC 7741 at school using CCD Soft. The field view looked exactly how I would expect when aligning to my galaxy, so I'm almost 100% my galaxy will show up once I stack my images ( I took a set of 20 with 1min exposure). I tried to check by stacking through PixInsight, however, there are unfortunately only around 3 stars that showed up on my images, PixInsight says you need 6 in order to stack.

Should I just go through with the assumption that my galaxy is there (although I can't see it) and start my data reduction and stack the images through IRAF?
    Is there another way I can stack?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2018 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not familiar with your software, but there is other software that requires fewer stars to stack or lets you manually stack.

What is IRAF?

4. Oct 10, 2018 #3
    There’s software that uses fewer stars? Do you happen to know any?

we do our data reduction stuff through Xming/PuTty and it involves doing stuff in an IRAF and a Linux terminal.

I don’t really know how to explain it :// I’m in second year so don’t have extensive experience with data reduction

5. Oct 10, 2018 #4

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I use AIP4Win, but it's not free. CCDOPS will let you manually stack, but it's rather tedious for anything but a handful of images.
    You can probably download a trial version of MaxIm DL Pro and use that.

6. Oct 10, 2018 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Registax can use as few as 1.

7. Oct 11, 2018 #6
    IRAF is the pro Unix based software. It is very powerful but very old and command line driven.

8. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM #7
  9. Oct 18, 2018 at 2:59 AM #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yup …. I have used it for some years now … but I, like many, only do the stacking in DSS
    we do the editing in lightroom, photoshop or whatever you other fav image processing app is

Dave

10. Oct 18, 2018 at 10:46 AM #9
    This was helpful! Tried stacking, didn’t see the galaxy :(( there was a light leak when we were take photos of my galaxy(+11.25 mag) guess I’m using my friend’s images for data reduction, he didn’t have light leaks when he took the images of the galaxy later in the night:((

Although two professors told me that my field of view was perfectly fine and my galaxy SHOULD be there. Gosh darn it

11. Oct 18, 2018 at 11:34 AM #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Did you do any post processing? Can you upload a sample? Often, the signal needs a lot of amplification to be visible.

12. Oct 18, 2018 at 1:51 PM #11
    Do you use any plate solving programs, like Astrotortilla? This will let you precisely place your subs by matching your field with with referenced images.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted