Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Benchmark Problem for Computational Solution of Poisson Equation

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am working on FEM methods as a part of my senior year project and I have written a poisson solver for the same purpose. The solver works pretty well on the simple problems that I have designed as of now and seems to give correct answer (i.e. the data matches the theoretical prediction)
    1. Parallel Plate Capacitor
    2. Potential inside and outside a hollow sphere of charge
    3. Parallel Plate Capacitor with rough surfaces (In this case, I have obtained a good co-relation between the calculations in my advisors pulblished paper and my paper.)

However, I have not yet designed any real life problem as of now. So before I design it, I would like to ask if there is any such gold standard for such a thing (a standard problem which is complex enough to demand good convergence requirements from the solver but not so complex as the solution to be contentious) and is there a place where I can get data so that I can verify my own results by running actual error calculations and such stuff rather than just checking the shapes of the graphs.

P.S. My solver is a 3D solver so I would like to have a 3D problem for the same.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about a calculable capacitor?
    They are often used in precision metrology and are extremely well characterized.
    You should be able to find data for one if you do a search using Google Scholar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook