Static Friction of a washing machine

In summary, the washing machine has a weight of 975 N and requires a minimum force of 350 N to move it along a tile floor. The coefficient of static friction between the washing machine and the tile floor can be found using the equation F_f = \mu_s F_N, where F_f is the force due to friction, \mu_s is the coefficient of static friction, and F_N is the normal force exerted by the object. Using this equation, the coefficient of static friction is calculated to be .36. The minimum force required to move an object is equivalent to the force needed to overcome friction and move the object. The angle at which the force should be applied to minimize the force needed is tan^-1(u),
brayrbob
Here is my problem,
A washing machine has a weight of 975 N. It requires a minimum force of 350 N to move it along a tile floor. What is the coefficient of static friction between the washing machine and the tile floor?

This is the equation I used to find the coefficient of static friction
us = mhg/mbg This isn't written right, but I don't know how to write the equations with the dropped letters.

us = 350/975 = .359 Now I'm just wanting to see if I've done this correctly.

This is my first course in physics ever, and am having trouble understanding everything.

Thanks,
brayrbob

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is 975 N. The minimum force needed to push the machine is really the same as the force due to friction (static). Therefore, use the basic equation for frictional force to solve for mu:

[tex]F_f = \mu_s F_N[/tex]

where:
[tex]F_f[/tex] = Force due to friction
[tex]\mu_s[/tex] = Coefficient of static friction
[tex]F_N[/tex] = Normal force exerted by the object

In your case:
[tex]350 N = \mu_s 975 N[/tex]

[tex]\mu_s = .36[/tex]

Brayrbob
Do you mean 'minimum horizontal force' or simply 'minimum force', may be in any direction?

On that equation the answer is basically the same that I got except I forgot to round my decimal. Why would I have to use the friction force equation when I need to solve for the coefficient of static friction?

brayrbob said:
On that equation the answer is basically the same that I got except I forgot to round my decimal. Why would I have to use the friction force equation when I need to solve for the coefficient of static friction?
I'm not quite following your question here. You have two knowns and one unknown. The equation used relates the three items directly. Why not use it?

The question just asks for minimum force.
I asked the question about which formula to use because my physics instructor gave us serveral formulas and since I'm supposed to solve for the coefficient of static friction, I just want to be sure I use the right formula.

brayrbob said:

The "minimum force required to move an object" is basically the same thing as saying "the force need to overcome friction and move the object". It's just a bit easier to say :smile:

Okay, thanks for your help. I'm glad that I got the answer to this problem right.

The minimum force required to move an object on a surface depends on the angle at which the force applied to pull the object. If it is not stated that the force is applied horizontally then the answer will be different. The component of the force applied in vertical direction will change the normal reaction and hence the limiting friction force.

The angle, at which the body should be pulled, with force to be minimum, should be tan^-1(u), where u is coefficient of friction.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two objects from sliding against each other when they are at rest.

How does static friction affect a washing machine?

Static friction in a washing machine is important for keeping the machine steady and preventing it from moving or vibrating during operation. It also helps with the transfer of energy from the motor to the drum, allowing for efficient cleaning.

What factors affect the static friction of a washing machine?

The static friction of a washing machine can be affected by factors such as the weight of the machine, the type of flooring it is placed on, and the surface area of contact between the machine and the floor. Other factors may include the condition of the machine's feet, the type of detergent used, and the levelness of the floor.

How can static friction be minimized in a washing machine?

To minimize static friction in a washing machine, it is important to ensure that the machine is placed on a level and stable surface. Regularly cleaning and maintaining the machine's feet can also help to reduce friction. Using the recommended amount of detergent and avoiding overloading the machine can also help to minimize friction.

What are the implications of too much or too little static friction in a washing machine?

Too much static friction in a washing machine can cause it to vibrate or move during operation, leading to potential damage to the machine and the surrounding area. On the other hand, too little static friction can result in the machine sliding or moving, which can also cause damage and affect its performance. It is important to find the right balance of static friction for optimal functioning of the washing machine.