What is the coefficient of static fraction for the book?

In summary: Ff = -Fn/mSo you would use -17.64/1.8=-5.76 as the value for Ff. Then divide 5.76 by the mass of the object to find the acceleration.
Raiden9
I really don't know where to find the acceleration of the object in this question.

When you push a 1.8 kg book resting on a tabletop, it takes 2.25 N to start the book sliding. Hwat is the coefficient of static fraction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have already done the force diagram and equations, found Fg and Fn, I just don't know how you would find the acceleration of the object.

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]F_\mu = \mu N[/tex]
Fmu being the force caused by friction, mu the coefficent of friction and N the force the surface exerts on the object.

Using Newton's III, in your problem, can you figure out the force exerted on the book by the table?

I found out that it was 931N. But then where would I go with that? Because I would need to find the Ff then divide that by 931N.

Thank You!

How did you get 931 N? That is a big force for a book with a mass of only 1,8kg:
F = ma <=> a = F/m = 931 N / 1,8 kg = 517 m/s^2.

If by Ff you mean Fmu, the force caused by friction, you already know its maximum magnitude.

I was looking at the problem! I am sorry! I got 17.64 for the Force of book (Fn) on the table. Now, would why I take that since if I got that answer I would take Fn=17.64/mass=1.8 equals the acceleration. Wouldn't I need to find the Ff first then take that and divide it by the mass?

Hey there!
May I know whether you want to find the acceleration of the book when it begins to slide, or the coefficient of static friction in this question?

Raiden9 said:
I got 17.64 for the Force of book (Fn) on the table. Now, would why I take that since if I got that answer I would take Fn=17.64/mass=1.8 equals the acceleration. Wouldn't I need to find the Ff first then take that and divide it by the mass?
Don't think that you need to know the acceleration in order to find the force! For one thing, Newton's 2nd law says that the net force equals ma. In this case, the net force is zero--it just barely begins to slide. So that won't help you.

Note that you are given the friction force. Use the formula that Päällikkö gave for relating the maximum static friction to the normal force.

Related to What is the coefficient of static fraction for the book?

What is the coefficient of static fraction for the book?

The coefficient of static friction for a book depends on the materials of the book and the surface it is placed on. It is a measure of how much force is required to start the book moving when it is stationary on a surface.

How is the coefficient of static fraction for the book determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to start the book moving on different surfaces and then calculating the ratio of the force to the weight of the book.

What factors can affect the coefficient of static fraction for the book?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by factors such as the weight and surface area of the book, the surface roughness of the book and the surface it is placed on, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives.

Why is the coefficient of static fraction important for a book?

The coefficient of static friction is important for a book because it helps determine how easy or difficult it is to move the book on a surface. This can affect how the book is stored, transported, and used.

Can the coefficient of static fraction for a book change over time?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction for a book can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the book's surface, changes in the surface it is placed on, or the use of different lubricants or adhesives. It may also vary slightly between different copies of the same book due to variations in materials and manufacturing processes.