Subsets and subspaces of vector spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the set T = {(1,1,1),(0,0,1)}, and whether or not it is a subspace of R^3. The participants go through the process of determining if T holds for addition and scalar multiplication, and conclude that it does. However, one participant questions if this is enough to prove that T is a subspace, and suggests looking at the definition of a subspace.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

T = {(1,1,1),(0,0,1)} is a subset of R[tex]^{3}[/tex] but not a subspace

sol

i have to prove it holds for addition and scalar multiplication

so let x=(1,1,1) and y =(0,0,1) so x+y = (1,1,2)

so it holds

let [tex]\alpha[/tex] = a scalar
then [tex]\alpha[/tex]x = ([tex]\alpha[/tex],[tex]\alpha[/tex],[tex]\alpha[/tex])
and [tex]\alpha[/tex]y = (0,0,[tex]\alpha[/tex])

so that holds.

i think I've shown that it is a subpace but the question says it isnt?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think you have given us the exact wording of this problem. The two vectors you gave are a basis for and span a two-dimension subspace of R^3.

Thinking about this some more, you have a set T with two vectors in it. With x and y as before, is x + y in the set? Is cx in the set for an arbitrary scalar?

i think they are in the set, x+y = (1,1,2) which is in R^3 and cx= (c,c,c) which is also in R^3 for any scalar c

gtfitzpatrick said:
i think they are in the set, x+y = (1,1,2) which is in R^3 and cx= (c,c,c) which is also in R^3 for any scalar c
The set T is {(1, 1, 1), (0, 0, 1)}. How can you say that x + y is in this set? If c = 2, is c(1, 1, 1) in this set?

am i not just to show that they are in R^3?

Do you know the definition of a subspace of a vector space?

What is a subset of a vector space?

A subset of a vector space is a collection of vectors that are taken from the original vector space. The vectors in a subset must follow all of the same rules as the vectors in the original space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

What is a subspace of a vector space?

A subspace of a vector space is a subset of the original space that is also a vector space itself. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and have the same dimension as the original space.

What is the difference between a subset and a subspace?

A subset is simply a collection of vectors taken from the original vector space, while a subspace is a subset that also follows all of the rules of a vector space. In other words, a subspace is a special type of subset.

How do you determine if a subset is a subspace?

To determine if a subset is a subspace, you must check if it follows all of the properties of a vector space. This includes closure under addition and scalar multiplication, as well as having the zero vector and the same dimension as the original space.

What is the importance of subsets and subspaces in linear algebra?

Subsets and subspaces are essential concepts in linear algebra because they allow us to study and understand vector spaces in more detail. By examining subsets and subspaces, we can gain insight into the structure of vector spaces and make connections between different spaces.