Summer getting too hard for you? Post your Fall Schedule to cool down

In summary: I'm actually really excited to take it because I've heard it's really interesting and cool.In summary, college students are discussing and sharing their schedules for the upcoming fall semester. Some are taking a mix of physics and electrical engineering courses, while others are considering adding classes such as sociology or differential equations. Many students are also facing challenges with scheduling and course conflicts.
Can't wait for Fall!

Calculus II
Classical Mechanics w/ lab
C++ Data Structures
Introduction to VHDL
Microcontrollers

Physics news on Phys.org
Fall:
Calculus I
Am. History
Intro to Engineering

Only 7 hrs, I know this will take me several years, but right now I still have to work 45 hrs/week. Hopefully, I will be ready to transfer from CC to Uni about the time my wife graduates Law school.

It is much better to do what you can manage, even if it takes more time.

Classical Mechanics I
Quantum Mechanics I
Electro & Magnetostatics
Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos
Dynamics and Bifurcations I
Abstract Vector Spaces

Those are my choices. I'm registering for all of these but I might drop 2 during the free add/drop period if my workload is too demanding. Vector spaces will be easy, and I'm leaning on some nonlinear mathematics. My friend thinks I'm insane.

Fizex said:
Classical Mechanics I
Quantum Mechanics I
Electro & Magnetostatics
Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos
Dynamics and Bifurcations I
Abstract Vector Spaces

Those are my choices. I'm registering for all of these but I might drop 2 during the free add/drop period if my workload is too demanding. Vector spaces will be easy, and I'm leaning on some nonlinear mathematics. My friend thinks I'm insane.

This looks pretty heavy.

Ivan92 said:
Can't wait for Fall!

Calculus II
Classical Mechanics w/ lab
C++ Data Structures
Introduction to VHDL
Microcontrollers

You can't mean classical mechanics as in the upper level physics major course right? You at least need to know calc 3 before attempting that class.

Applied Linear Algebra
Applied Statistical Methods (calculus II prerequisite o_O)
Ordinary Differential Equations
Statics
Intro. to Logic (Philosophy, not math -- easy course)
Intro to Mechanical Engineering (Introduction to CAD n' Stuff)
Computer Applications in Engineering (joke course in C++, required..have taken a full year of C and java)

Seven classes? Yikes! Don't underestimate your intro to logic course. If it's anything like formal logic, then it'll read like a bunch of math proofs, complete with symbols and mathematical-style reasoning.

naah it's a 100 level philosophy course. No math, no prereques, just general education stuff. The linear algebra course is just two credits, too, and the fact that the programming course will be a joke helps me rest easy, as well.

Advanced Nuclear Physics
Nuclear Energy
Solid State Physics I (the first graduate course on solid state)
Astrophysics
Lasers and laserspectroscopy
Quantum Field Theory (not 100% sure I will take this or a course to prepare for a postgraduate on nuclear engineering)

I study nuclear physics btw. :)

Physics II
Calc II
Directed Independent reading

+12 credits of core.

anonymity said:
naah it's a 100 level philosophy course. No math, no prereques, just general education stuff. The linear algebra course is just two credits, too, and the fact that the programming course will be a joke helps me rest easy, as well.

My friend took an intro to logic course and actually found it reasonably difficult. Just because math isn't a prereq. doesn't mean that you won't be expected to do logical proofs. Hers was a general education with no math or prereqs yet most of the course was based on proofs. I even know some honours math majors who struggled with one of the intro to logic classes (you'd think introductory proofs would be super easy for them). Also, how do you know for a fact that the programming course will be a joke? It just sounds like you're setting yourself up to get majorly stressed out.

Fundamentals of Modern Physics
Thermal Physics
Electromagnetic Theory I
Probability(Calculus based)
Materials Science & Engineering I
Intro to Canada

I switched to a Physics major last semester so I'm really excited. Although I'm going into my Junior year I am going to have to take modern physics again since the other modern physics course was taken at a community college where they slit the course into modern physics and optics where the quantum mechanics portion wasn't really stressed because the class was mainly composed of engineering majors... They told me that I won't need to know it in detail for Thermal Physics so it would be possible to take the Junior level courses for this semester and take Quantum Mechanics I the next semester.

eXorikos said:
Advanced Nuclear Physics
Nuclear Energy
Solid State Physics I (the first graduate course on solid state)
Astrophysics
Lasers and laserspectroscopy
Quantum Field Theory (not 100% sure I will take this or a course to prepare for a postgraduate on nuclear engineering)

I study nuclear physics btw. :)
aiiiieeeee are you the one who gets to work @ CERN?

HeLiXe said:
aiiiieeeee are you the one who gets to work @ CERN?

I have been there on an install job. I might go back for a project next year in the second semester.

Applied Mathematics I (grad)
Abstract Algebra
Electromagnetism I
Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics
Senior Seminar (project in Fluid Mechanics in preparation for project in MHD in the Spring)

I'm looking forward to it!

eXorikos said:
I have been there on an install job. I might go back for a project next year in the second semester.
So cool!:cool:
gungywamp said:
Applied Mathematics I (grad)
Abstract Algebra
Electromagnetism I
Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics
Senior Seminar (project in Fluid Mechanics in preparation for project in MHD in the Spring)

I'm looking forward to it!

This really looks fun! I can't wait for my first astrophysics class...gotta get past physics I first tho -_-

HeLiXe said:
So cool!:cool:

So true, but I couldn't get into the ISOLDE facility with my badge, so my tutor had to let me in everytime. :(

Linear Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics II and Lab
Anthropology
World Art and Culture

xicor said:
Fundamentals of Modern Physics
Thermal Physics
Electromagnetic Theory I
Probability(Calculus based)
Materials Science & Engineering I
Intro to Canada

What's this?

kylem said:
What's this?

It's the pre-req for Advanced Canada, obviously. :smile:

All I can imagine is a class that practices the precise art of saying "eh?" and "aboot".

Right now my semester is looking like:

O.D.E.
Elementary Number Theory
Problem Solving(basically Putnam training)
Numerical Analysis
Intro to computer science

I'm not sure how it'll go, it could be too slack; or quite difficult. Definitely need to put work in on ode's after I slacked off in my last calc course.

Math Is Hard said:
It's the pre-req for Advanced Canada, obviously. :smile:
Lol. That gave me a good laugh.

thegreenlaser said:
My friend took an intro to logic course and actually found it reasonably difficult. Just because math isn't a prereq. doesn't mean that you won't be expected to do logical proofs. Hers was a general education with no math or prereqs yet most of the course was based on proofs. I even know some honours math majors who struggled with one of the intro to logic classes (you'd think introductory proofs would be super easy for them). Also, how do you know for a fact that the programming course will be a joke? It just sounds like you're setting yourself up to get majorly stressed out.

That's interesting, regarding the logic course. I looked at the book, though, and didn't see a single symbolic operator, so brushed it aside. Maybe I'll take another look.

Regardless, it is only 19 credits and that is entirely manageable with some effort and time...

The Linear Algebra course is just a 2 credit course, same with the programming course (a friend gave me all of his programs from last spring, they are all basic intro programs..think "hello world..", I have a full year of C and java under my belt up to data structures and algorithms in java...I am not concerned).

Freshman fall schedule(going for Math major with classes in computer science):

-Intro to CS majors
-Writing 1
-Calc II
-University Seminar
-World Civ

What do you guys think?

Totalderiv said:
Freshman fall schedule(going for Math major with classes in computer science):

-Intro to CS majors
-Writing 1
-Calc II
-University Seminar
-World Civ

What do you guys think?

University Seminar sounds boring and a waste of time.

Econometrics -- Economics (ECON) 240A [5 units]
Description: Basic preparation for the Ph.D. program including probability and statistical theory and the classical linear regression model.

Financial Engineering Systems I -- Industrial Engineering (IND ENG) 222 [3 units]
Description: Introductory graduate level course, focusing on applications of operations research techniques, e.g., probability, statistics, and optimization, to financial engineering. The course starts with a quick review of 221, including no-arbitrage theory, complete market, risk-neutral pricing, and hedging in discrete model, as well as basic probability and statistical tools. It then covers Brownian motion, martingales, and Ito's calculus, and deals with risk-neutral pricing in continuous time models. Standard topics include Girsanov transformation, martingale representation theorem, Feyman-Kac formula, and American and exotic option pricings. Simulation techniques will be discussed at the end of the semester, and MATLAB (or C or S-Plus) will be used for computation.

Applied Stochastic Process I -- Industrial Engineering (IND ENG) 263A [4 units]
Description: Conditional Expectation. Poisson and renewal processes. Renewal reward processes with application to inventory, congestion, and replacement models. Discrete and continuous time Markov chains; with applications to various stochastic systems--such as exponential queueing systems, inventory models and reliability systems.

Game Theory in the Social Sciences -- Economics (ECON) C110 [4 units]
Description: A non-technical introduction to game theory. Basic principle, and models of interaction among players, with a strong emphasis on applications to political science, economics, and other social sciences. Also listed as Political Science C135.

Last semester as a Math/Econ major. I'm thinking of just replacing the game theory class with the honors thesis.

anonymity said:
Regardless, it is only 19 credits...

After my last encounter with a 19 credit semester, I'll never say that again.

cjl said:
After my last encounter with a 19 credit semester, I'll never say that again.

True.

THe make up of those 19 units, the school, the professors, etc...can make 19 units seem like 12 or 24!

Aren't you supposed to take 60 in a year, so 30 in one semester? :/

Uh, no. Most undergrad degrees are around a hundred-twenty credits. Spaced out over four years, that's around thirty credits per year. Thirty credits in one semester is thirty hours of class time, plus sixty hours of studying, totaling ninety hours at least -- and more around finals/exams. In addition, there's only a hundred-sixty-eight hours in a week, so subtracting ninety from that leaves seventy-eight hours per week for sleep, food, and relaxation, or eleven hours per day. Subtracting seven hours from that for sleep gives you four hours per day to eat, shower, buy groceries, and maybe have a social life. Thirty hours in one semester would kill a person. Not to mention that that's a pretty conservative estimate for your study time in one semester -- given the quantity of classes, you'd have to study far longer to absorb all the information necessary to succeed in all the classes.

Finally I see there is a huge difference in credit system. For us, every credit is supposed to be a workload of around 30hours total. A semester is 13 weeks classes, 1 week of studying before the exams and 3 weeks exams. So 17 weeks for a total of 900hours gives 52hours per week working for your classes.

Circuit Analysis II
Electronic Circuits I w/ Lab
Modern Computational Methods
Prob/Stat for Engineers
Foundations of Mathematics (intro to proofs)
Linear Algebra

20cr total

Not sure yet as I'm in the process of transferring from community college to university. I'm probably taking calc III and physics, but other than that, I don't know yet.