Surface Charge Density and electron

In summary, the task was to find the surface charge density on a large positively charged non-conducting sheet in order to balance an electron at rest above the ground. The equations used were F = qE and d = Eϵ. After plugging in the given values, the calculated answer was 4.938 x 10^-22 C/m^2, but the correct answer is 9.88 x 10^-22 C/m^2. This discrepancy was due to using the equation for a conducting sheet instead of a non-conducting sheet, requiring the answer to be multiplied by 2.
grouchy

Homework Statement

an electron with mass m = 9.11 x 10^-31 is released at rest near a very large positively charged non-conducting charged sheet lying horizontally. What should the surface charge density on this sheet be to keep the electron balanced at rest above the ground? Is it above or below the sheet?

Homework Equations

F = qE
d(density) = Eϵ

The Attempt at a Solution

qE = mg
E = (mg)/ q

d = Eϵ
d = (mgϵ )/q

When I plug in all my values I get 4.938 x 10^-22 C/m^2

but the answer is 9.88 x 10^-22 (if I multiply my answer by 2 it would be right but I don't think that's how I need to do it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
grouchy said:
an electron with mass m = 9.11 x 10^-31 is released at rest near a very large positively charged non-conducting charged sheet lying horizontally. What should the surface charge density on this sheet be to keep the electron balanced at rest above the ground? Is it above or below the sheet?

Hi grouchy! :smile:

I'm not sure what you've done, but I think you've used the equation for a point (or nearly point) charge.

This is a spread-out charge, so you'll have to integrate over the whole plane. :smile:

I found my mistake, I used the equation for conducting sheet of charge E = d/ϵ

but the problem says non conducting which is E = d/2ϵ which tells me its right when I multiply by 2 :)

1. What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density is the measure of electric charge per unit area on the surface of a material or object. It is usually denoted by the symbol σ and is measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m2).

2. How is surface charge density related to electric fields?

The surface charge density is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field at the surface of a material. This means that a higher surface charge density will result in a stronger electric field and vice versa.

3. What factors affect surface charge density?

The surface charge density is influenced by the number of electrons on the surface of a material, the surface area, and the material's permittivity. The presence of other charges or external electric fields can also affect the surface charge density.

4. How is surface charge density different from volume charge density?

Surface charge density is the measure of charge per unit area on the surface of an object, while volume charge density is the measure of charge per unit volume within the object. Surface charge density only applies to 2-dimensional surfaces, while volume charge density applies to 3-dimensional objects.

5. How do electrons contribute to surface charge density?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that can accumulate on the surface of a material, creating a surface charge density. The number of electrons and their distribution on the surface determine the strength and direction of the electric field at the surface.