Tensile Stress at Mid-span of Beam

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the tensile stress at the mid-span of a beam. The person asking the question is struggling with this problem and has previously done other questions on the topic. The correct answer for the tensile stress is 1.66 MPa. The conversation also touches on finding the horizontal centroidal axis of the beam cross section, determining the second moment of area, and understanding which side of the beam cross section is in tension and which side is in compression. The importance of using correct units in calculations is also emphasized.
smr101
Hi,

I'm struggling with finding the tensile stress at the mid-span of this beam. I've done the previous questions but have no idea how to begin with this one as I've never dealt with this question before.

What is the general method?

Correct answer is 1.66MPa.

Thanks.

wFzrZ.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
smr101 said:
Hi,

I'm struggling with finding the tensile stress at the mid-span of this beam. I've done the previous questions but have no idea how to begin with this one as I've never dealt with this question before.

What is the general method?

Correct answer is 1.66MPa.

Thanks.

wFzrZ.jpg
Don't worry about the general method. Focus on solving each of the sub-problems first.

1.) Do you know how to find the horizontal centroidal axis of the beam cross section shown in the diagram?

2.) Can you determine the second moment of area of this cross section about the horizontal centroidal axis of this cross section?

Work on these two problems first, then we'll worry about tackling the beam bending.

SteamKing said:
Don't worry about the general method. Focus on solving each of the sub-problems first.

1.) Do you know how to find the horizontal centroidal axis of the beam cross section shown in the diagram?

2.) Can you determine the second moment of area of this cross section about the horizontal centroidal axis of this cross section?

Work on these two problems first, then we'll worry about tackling the beam bending.

Are you referring to question (a) and (b)?

Yes, I have done them and got the correct answer, I have also done (c).

smr101 said:
Are you referring to question (a) and (b)?

Yes, I have done them and got the correct answer, I have also done (c).
If you know the bending moment at mid-span of the beam, then calculating the tensile stress is just the application of σ = My / I. You must understand which side of the beam cross section is in tension, and which side is in compression, though.

Can you show your work on this point?

SteamKing said:
If you know the bending moment at mid-span of the beam, then calculating the tensile stress is just the application of σ = My / I. You must understand which side of the beam cross section is in tension, and which side is in compression, though.

Can you show your work on this point?

y = 118.33 mm, too much working for this to type out.

Icc = 762.3 x 10^6 mm^44, using formula Icc = bh^3/12 + A1*h1^2 + A2*h2^2 + A3...

Bending moment is 3 m * 1000kN/m = 3kN load.

3 metres + 1/2 * 3 = 4.5 metres * 3kN
M = 13,500kNm

Apply σ = My / I as you say. Using yt = 118.33 to work out the stress in tensile.

All values are correct as checked with answers.

I did find that yc = 400 - 118.33 = 211.67 and putting that into the equation didn't give the correct compressive stress value, can't understand why.

smr101 said:
y = 118.33 mm, too much working for this to type out.

This is the correct location of the centroid above the bottom of the cross section.
Icc = 762.3 x 10^6 mm^44, using formula Icc = bh^3/12 + A1*h1^2 + A2*h2^2 + A3...
Should be I = 762 × 106 mm4. Be careful with the units.
Bending moment is 3 m * 1000kN/m = 3kN load.
The load shown in the diagram is 1 kN/m or 1000 N/m, not 1000 kN/m, which is equal to 106 N/m. You've got to be careful with units.
3 metres + 1/2 * 3 = 4.5 metres * 3kN
M = 13,500kNm
Again, you're writing incorrect units here.
Apply σ = My / I as you say. Using yt = 118.33 to work out the stress in tensile.
If you want to work out the maximum tensile/compressive bending stress, y must be the distance from the neutral axis (or the horizontal centroid in this case) to the outer fiber of the beam. Due to how this particular beam is loaded, the tensile stresses occur above the neutral axis and compressive stresses below. You can check this by sketching the deflected shape of the beam (which curves down at the free end).
All values are correct as checked with answers.

I did find that yc = 400 - 118.33 = 211.67 and putting that into the equation didn't give the correct compressive stress value, can't understand why.

You must use correct units in the formulas. If M is measured in N-m, then y must be measured in meters and I must be measured in m4 in order to obtain σ in N/m2.

It's not clear what the "correct answer 1.66 MPa" refers to. Is this the max. tensile stress? Max. compressive stress? Stress at mid-span?

SteamKing said:
This is the correct location of the centroid above the bottom of the cross section.

Should be I = 762 × 106 mm4. Be careful with the units.

The load shown in the diagram is 1 kN/m or 1000 N/m, not 1000 kN/m, which is equal to 106 N/m. You've got to be careful with units.

Again, you're writing incorrect units here.

If you want to work out the maximum tensile/compressive bending stress, y must be the distance from the neutral axis (or the horizontal centroid in this case) to the outer fiber of the beam. Due to how this particular beam is loaded, the tensile stresses occur above the neutral axis and compressive stresses below. You can check this by sketching the deflected shape of the beam (which curves down at the free end).You must use correct units in the formulas. If M is measured in N-m, then y must be measured in meters and I must be measured in m4 in order to obtain σ in N/m2.

It's not clear what the "correct answer 1.66 MPa" refers to. Is this the max. tensile stress? Max. compressive stress? Stress at mid-span?

I am using the correct units and figures. The only figure that changes from working out the tensile stress and the compressive stress is the yc/yt value - correct?

yc = 400 - 118.33 = 211.67, using those figures doesn't bring the correct answer.

To clarify the max tensile stress = 4.98 MPa and max compressive stress = 2.09 MPa.

The tensile stress at mid-span is 1.66 MPa.

smr101 said:
I am using the correct units and figures. The only figure that changes from working out the tensile stress and the compressive stress is the yc/yt value - correct?

Correct.
yc = 400 - 118.33 = 211.67, using those figures doesn't bring the correct answer.

You should get in the habit of indicating units.

The value of the bending moment at mid-span is not the same as the max. bending moment.
To clarify the max tensile stress = 4.98 MPa and max compressive stress = 2.09 MPa.

The tensile stress at mid-span is 1.66 MPa.

I am able to calculate all of these stresses.

SteamKing said:
Correct.You should get in the habit of indicating units.

The value of the bending moment at mid-span is not the same as the max. bending moment.I am able to calculate all of these stresses.

So my yc value for for compressive stress must be incorrect, yes?

I still have no idea how to work out the tensile stress at mid-span.

smr101 said:
So my yc value for for compressive stress must be incorrect, yes?
Since the beam cross section doesn't change along the length, yc will be the same value at every location, mid-span or otherwise. Likewise, yt.
I still have no idea how to work out the tensile stress at mid-span.

σ = M y / I

We've established what y must be and you have calculated I. If σ at mid-span is incorrect, then the problem must be in the value of M you are using at that location.

Please show your calculation.

Related to Tensile Stress at Mid-span of Beam

What is tensile stress at mid-span of beam?

Tensile stress at mid-span of beam refers to the amount of force applied to the center point of a beam that causes it to stretch or elongate. This type of stress occurs when a beam is subjected to a load that pulls on its ends, causing it to bend in the middle.

How is tensile stress at mid-span of beam calculated?

Tensile stress at mid-span of beam is calculated by dividing the force applied to the beam by its cross-sectional area. This results in a measurement of force per unit area, typically expressed in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

What factors affect tensile stress at mid-span of beam?

Several factors can affect tensile stress at mid-span of beam, including the material properties of the beam (such as its strength and elasticity), the magnitude and distribution of the applied load, and the geometry of the beam (such as its length and cross-sectional shape).

Why is tensile stress at mid-span of beam important to consider?

Tensile stress at mid-span of beam is an important consideration in engineering and construction because it can help determine the maximum load a beam can withstand before breaking or experiencing permanent deformation. It is also important in designing structures that can safely support heavy loads without failing.

How can tensile stress at mid-span of beam be reduced?

Tensile stress at mid-span of beam can be reduced by using stronger or more elastic materials, increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam, or redistributing the load to other points along the beam. Proper design and construction techniques can also help minimize tensile stress and ensure the structural integrity of a beam.