1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension between 3 blocks

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings are being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force F_vec. (Intro 1 figure) The magnitude of the tension in the string between blocks B and C is T = 3.00 N. Assume that each block has mass m = 0.400 kg

What is the magnitude F of the force?
    What is the tension T:AB in the string between block A and block B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure of how to approach the first part of the problem. For the second part, since t is the only force acting this the block,
    I have: T=ma
    I solve for A from the first part of the equation where t is given as follows:
    a=7.5 m/s^2

I plugged this into to solve for the other tension as follows:

Mastering physics is saying the tension and the acceleration is wrong. Where did I screw up?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What is the order of your blocks?

T <---{A}--{B}--{C}

Generally, whatever your force is, the acceleration will be F/(3*m) and then the intermediate tensions would be whatever force is needed to keep the blocks remaining moving with that acceleration.

In the example above that would be 2/3*F between A:B and 1/3*F between B:C
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?