How Do You Solve Tension Problems with Friction and Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing how to find the expression for Tc in a physics problem. The first equation, b(i), defines a sign convention and the second equation, b(ii), requires the same derivation while maintaining a consistent sign convention. The person seeking help is advised to work out the derivation using a free body diagram and read the hint before moving onto the next step.
max1995

Homework Statement

See image attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

bii) Tc=mc(a+g)

Need help on Ci what I did is

(9x9.81) -uR-6g=10a

Have no idea what to do though really

Attachments

• 10836376_902072166469602_260882761_n.jpg
    10836376_902072166469602_260882761_n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
bii) Tc=mc(a+g)
... this does not follow from b(i). Please show your reasoning.
Have no idea what to do though really...
... did you read the hint?
But you should complete b before starting c.

Simon Bridge said:
... this does not follow from b(i). Please show your reasoning.
... did you read the hint?
But you should complete b before starting c.

for bii i just assumed the expressions would be the same, how would i go about getting an expression for Tc?

The b(i) equation defines a sign convention ... you should work out the derivation they did using a free body diagram.
Then for b(ii), you want to do the same derivation, but you have to make sure the sign convention is consistent with the first one.

Hello! I would first like to commend you for making an attempt at solving this problem. Let's break it down together.

First, let's define the variables in the problem:

Tc = tension in the main cable
m = mass of the object hanging from the main cable
a = acceleration of the object
g = acceleration due to gravity
uR = coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the main cable

Based on the given information, we can write the following equations:

1) Sum of forces in the vertical direction = Tc - mg = ma
2) Sum of forces in the horizontal direction = uR - 6g = 0 (since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction)

Using these two equations, we can solve for Tc and a.

1) Tc = mg + ma
2) uR = 6g

Substituting the value of uR from equation 2) into equation 1), we get:

Tc = mg + 6mg = 7mg

Now, we can solve for a by substituting the value of Tc into equation 1):

Tc = ma
7mg = ma
a = 7g

Therefore, the final solution for part bii) is:

Tc = 7mg
a = 7g

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is tension on strings problem?

Tension on strings problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the amount of force exerted on a string when it is pulled or stretched. It is commonly used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as determining the strength of materials and designing structures.

2. How is tension on strings calculated?

Tension on strings is calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the string. This formula applies to an ideal, massless string that is perfectly flexible and inextensible.

3. What factors affect tension on strings?

The tension on strings can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the applied force, and the length of the string. Other factors that may impact tension include temperature, humidity, and the presence of knots or bends in the string.

4. How does tension on strings relate to vibration?

Tension on strings is closely related to the vibration of the string. When a string is plucked or struck, it vibrates at a specific frequency determined by its tension, length, and mass. This is why instruments such as guitars and violins have different pitches for each string - the tension on each string is adjusted to produce a specific vibration frequency.

5. Can tension on strings be measured?

Yes, tension on strings can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a tension meter or by calculating the tension using the formula T = F * L. However, it is important to note that these measurements may not be 100% accurate due to the various factors that can affect tension on strings.