Eddington Exp vs Newton: Comparing Starlight Deflection

In summary: TL;DR Summary: In summary, the Eddington Experiment confirmed GR by showing, as Einstein had predicted, a deflection of starlight by the Sun that was double the deflection expected by Newtonian gravity.
Karl Coryat
TL;DR Summary
Why did GR predict a deflection of starlight by the Sun that was double the Newtonian expectation?
The Eddington Experiment famously confirmed GR by showing, as Einstein had predicted, a deflection of starlight by the Sun that was double the deflection expected by Newtonian gravity. I don't understand where Einstein's 2x number came from. I make the following assumptions:
1. That a ray of light and an inertial test mass both take the same geodesic through spacetime
2. That the expected Newtonian deflection is calculated by determining how much the starlight "falls" toward the Sun enroute
3. That the acceleration of this falling is the same as the acceleration of a test mass, Galileo having established that everything takes the same acceleration regardless of mass.

One or more of those assumptions must be wrong.

To put this question another way, does a light beam parallel to the Earth's surface deflect downward at 19.6 m/s2, i.e., 19.6 meters vertically for every 90 billion kilometers horizontally?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Karl Coryat said:
I don't understand where Einstein's 2x number came from.
The best way to understand that is to look at the actual GR math, which can be found in most GR textbooks.

Karl Coryat said:
1. That a ray of light and an inertial test mass both take the same geodesic through spacetime
This is not correct. Given a fixed starting event in spacetime and a fixed spatial direction, a light ray follows the unique null geodesic defined by those starting parameters, but an inertial test mass can follow any of a continuous infinity of timelike geodesics allowed by those starting parameters, depending on its initial velocity. None of those timelike geodesics are the same as the null geodesic the light ray follows (since null and timelike geodesics are fundamentally different).

Karl Coryat said:
2. That the expected Newtonian deflection is calculated by determining how much the starlight "falls" toward the Sun enroute
This is basically what the Newtonian calculation does, but note that in Newtonian physics the fact that light "falls" at all has to be assumed since it is not implied by the theory.

Karl Coryat said:
3. That the acceleration of this falling is the same as the acceleration of a test mass, Galileo having established that everything takes the same acceleration regardless of mass.
This is true locally at a point, but the light bending calculation is not a local calculation, it's a global calculation. One way of looking at where the factor of 2 comes from is that in the curved spacetime surrounding a massive body, the local frames all along the trajectory of a light ray passing near the body do not "fit together" the way they would in flat spacetime. Some sources will attribute this to "spatial curvature", which, if we adopt a particular frame of reference, can indeed be a valid description of the math.

Karl Coryat said:
To put this question another way, does a light beam parallel to the Earth's surface deflect downward at 19.6 m/s2, i.e., 19.6 meters vertically for every 90 billion kilometers horizontally?
This is a meaningless question since the Earth's size is much, much less than 90 billion kilometers.

Likes topsquark and Karl Coryat
Karl Coryat said:
TL;DR Summary: Why did GR predict a deflection of starlight by the Sun that was double the Newtonian expectation?
The GR calculation is non-trivial. It's in Hartle's GR book, culminating in the equation $$\delta \phi = \frac{4GM}{bc^2}$$ where ##\delta \phi## is the angular deflection and ##b## is the impact parameter.

The classical inverse square deflection can be found here, equation (4.20):

https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/relativity/four.pdf

$$\delta \phi = 2 \tan^{-1}(\frac{GM}{bc^2})$$ If we take the case that ##\frac{GM}{bc^2}## is small (the Hartle equation was explicitly for this case) and use the Taylor expansion for ##\tan^{-1}##, we get the :
$$\delta \phi = \frac{2GM}{bc^2}$$ which is half that calculated from GR.

Note also that these are approximations for the particular case of a small deflection. The maths, as it often does, gets messy.

• Informative
Likes nasu, berkeman, topsquark and 2 others
PeterDonis said:
This is a meaningless question since the Earth's size is much, much less than 90 billion kilometers.
I appreciate the explanations! Let me rephrase that last question as, Does a light beam parallel to the Earth's surface deflect downward at 1.96 x 10–9 meters vertically for every 9 kilometers horizontally? (It's a conceptual question rather than a practical one.)

Karl Coryat said:
I appreciate the explanations! Let me rephrase that last question as, Does a light beam parallel to the Earth's surface deflect downward at 1.96 x 10–9 meters vertically for every 9 kilometers horizontally? (It's a conceptual question rather than a practical one.)
Measured locally, yes (assuming your numbers are correct, I haven't checked them). But if you do a global measurement of light bending by the Earth, you will get twice the value you would expect by just adding up all the local contributions and assuming that spacetime is flat (or, equivalently, that space in a frame in which the Earth is at rest is Euclidean).

PeterDonis said:
Measured locally, yes (assuming your numbers are correct, I haven't checked them).
I think you mean no, because those numbers reflect twice the Newtonian prediction (19.6 m/s2). I think what you're telling me is, if we had instruments of arbitrary precision, in the limit of spacetime being locally flat, we would measure light to "fall" at the Newtonian rate; but if we zoomed out and considered the total deflection along the ray's route, we would find exactly twice that value. Is that right? (I apologize for any sloppy language.)

Karl Coryat said:
I think you mean no, because those numbers reflect twice the Newtonian prediction (19.6 m/s2).
Well, I told you I didn't check the numbers. I assumed you were just expressing the standard "acceleration due to gravity" at the Earth's surface in different units.

Karl Coryat said:
I think what you're telling me is, if we had instruments of arbitrary precision, in the limit of spacetime being locally flat, we would measure light to "fall" at the Newtonian rate
Yes.

Karl Coryat said:
if we zoomed out and considered the total deflection along the ray's route, we would find exactly twice that value.
No. You can't compare the two things that way. You would find that the global light bending is twice the value you would get if we added up all the local "falling" on the assumption of flat spacetime (or Euclidean space in the Earth's rest frame). But there is no valid way to convert that global result into a local "rate of bending" that is twice the Newtonian value. If you try to do any such conversion, the only valid way to do it just undoes all the effects of curved spacetime (or non-Euclidean space in the Earth's rest frame) and gets you right back to the Newtonian local "rate of falling" that you measured. All of which is just another way of saying that GR predicts both things: that the local "rate of falling" is the Newtonian one, and that the global bending is what it is. There is no way to separate the two.

1. What is the Eddington Experiment and how does it compare to Newton's theory?

The Eddington Experiment was a scientific test conducted in 1919 to observe the deflection of starlight near the sun during a solar eclipse. This experiment was used to test Einstein's theory of general relativity, which predicted a greater deflection of starlight than Newton's theory of gravity. The results of the experiment confirmed Einstein's theory and showed that it was a more accurate explanation of the behavior of gravity.

2. How did the Eddington Experiment impact our understanding of gravity?

The Eddington Experiment provided strong evidence for Einstein's theory of general relativity and revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It showed that gravity is not simply a force between masses, as Newton's theory suggested, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to advancements in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.

3. Why was the Eddington Experiment significant in the history of science?

The Eddington Experiment was significant because it provided the first empirical evidence for Einstein's theory of general relativity. This experiment was a crucial moment in the history of science, as it challenged and ultimately replaced Newton's long-held theory of gravity. It also demonstrated the power of scientific experimentation in validating and advancing our understanding of the natural world.

4. How does the Eddington Experiment continue to impact scientific research today?

The Eddington Experiment continues to have a significant impact on scientific research today. It has inspired further studies and experiments to test and refine our understanding of general relativity and gravity. It has also paved the way for advancements in technologies such as gravitational wave detectors, which have allowed us to observe and study the universe in ways that were previously impossible.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Eddington Experiment?

While the Eddington Experiment provided strong evidence for general relativity, it has faced some criticism and limitations. Some have argued that the results may have been influenced by observational errors or biases. Additionally, the experiment was only able to observe a small portion of the sky during the eclipse and may not have been able to fully capture the effects of gravity on starlight. However, these criticisms have not significantly impacted the overall significance and impact of the Eddington Experiment in the history of science.