Why Is Volume Excluded in My Thermal Expansion Calculation?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the depth of a cubical swimming pool filled with water at 26 °C, given that it overflows at 38 °C. The volume expansion coefficient for water is 2.07 x 10^-4 °C^-1. The student accidentally used the formula B(Tf-Ti) instead of BV(Tf-Ti), but their final answer was correct. The correct approach involves writing volume as a function of depth and cancelling out volume/depth terms to solve for the depth.
FahimP

Homework Statement

Hell people
I am stuck on this problem I solved and got the correct ans but. I somehow stumbled on the right answer by accident. My work is correct buy I have one question.

1.)
on a hot day , a cubical swimming pool is filled to within 1.9 cm of the top with water at 26 °C. When the water warms to 38 °C, the pool overflows. What is the depth of the pool? (The volume expansion coefficient for water is 2.07 10-4 °C−1.)

My question is that i accidently used B(Tf - TI ) to get the thermal expansion but the formula from the book has B V (Tf - Ti) . DO we ignore that V for volume because it is not given ? this is my question

Homework Equations

dV = BV(Tf-Ti) -- > volume expansion equation from book

The Attempt at a Solution

thermal expansion = B ( Tf-Ti)
= ( 2.07 x 10 ^ -4 ) ( 12 C ) = 0.002484
0.019 m / 0.002384 = 7.64 m
So, the depth of the pool is 7.64 m
my ans is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
In your attempt at a solution, you left out the volume term from the original equation. But, you seem to have ended up including it afterward. What you needed to do (and it looks like you ended up doing so) was write volume as a function of depth. Since it is a cubical pool, the original volume is d2(d-.019m), and the "final" volume (where it would overflow) is d3. If you put that on both sides of your equation - as noted in "Relevant Equations," volume/depth terms will start canceling out and you'll be left with one d. For which you ended up correctly solving.

Related to Why Is Volume Excluded in My Thermal Expansion Calculation?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume or shape in response to a change in temperature. When a substance is heated, its particles vibrate more and take up more space, causing the substance to expand. When it is cooled, the particles vibrate less and the substance contracts.

2. How is thermal expansion measured?

Thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per unit of temperature change. It is usually expressed in units of length per degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit).

3. What are some common examples of thermal expansion?

Some common examples of thermal expansion include the expansion and contraction of metal bridges, the cracking of sidewalks and roads due to temperature changes, and the use of a bimetallic strip in thermostats to control temperature.

4. How does thermal expansion affect everyday objects?

Thermal expansion can cause everyday objects to change in size or shape due to temperature changes. This can lead to issues such as warping, cracking, and even failure in some materials. For example, bridges are designed to account for thermal expansion to prevent buckling or other structural issues.

5. Can thermal expansion be controlled or prevented?

Thermal expansion cannot be prevented, but it can be controlled through proper material selection and design. Materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, such as ceramics and polymers, are less affected by temperature changes. Additionally, designing structures with room for expansion and contraction can help prevent damage due to thermal expansion.