1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal radiation and copper

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    I have a question. Assuming I have oil at 80 degrees in a copper calorimetry cup , will the heat loss by thermal radiation be very high and will it affect my values?

I am thinking that it would not and that it would be negligible. But i do not know why. I heard somewhere that it would be high due to copper not having a dipole movement. Can someone please explain to me why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Your own experience with hot drinks surely tells you that a liquid at 80C cools pretty quickly whatever its in.

Copper is a very good conductor of heat and has a low heat capacity so it won't help much to keep the oil warm.

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its internal degrees of freedom for vibration, that's where the atomic dipole movement comes in.

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

See the discussion of radiation heat transport and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan.html

Let Thot = 80°C or 353 K and Tcold = 25° or 298 K. One must use absolute temperature in the S-B law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?