Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermal radiation and copper

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    I have a question. Assuming I have oil at 80 degrees in a copper calorimetry cup , will the heat loss by thermal radiation be very high and will it affect my values?

I am thinking that it would not and that it would be negligible. But i do not know why. I heard somewhere that it would be high due to copper not having a dipole movement. Can someone please explain to me why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Your own experience with hot drinks surely tells you that a liquid at 80C cools pretty quickly whatever its in.

Copper is a very good conductor of heat and has a low heat capacity so it won't help much to keep the oil warm.

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its internal degrees of freedom for vibration, that's where the atomic dipole movement comes in.

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

See the discussion of radiation heat transport and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan.html

Let Thot = 80°C or 353 K and Tcold = 25° or 298 K. One must use absolute temperature in the S-B law.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook