Thermal radiation and copper

In summary: You can calculate the heat loss for a given geometry and emissivity.In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether the heat loss by thermal radiation will be significant when oil at 80 degrees is placed in a copper calorimetry cup. There is a debate about whether copper's lack of dipole movement would make the heat loss high, but it is ultimately determined that the heat loss can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law and the geometrical and emissivity factors.
nithin
I have a question. Assuming I have oil at 80 degrees in a copper calorimetry cup , will the heat loss by thermal radiation be very high and will it affect my values?

I am thinking that it would not and that it would be negligible. But i do not know why. I heard somewhere that it would be high due to copper not having a dipole movement. Can someone please explain to me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your own experience with hot drinks surely tells you that a liquid at 80C cools pretty quickly whatever its in.

Copper is a very good conductor of heat and has a low heat capacity so it won't help much to keep the oil warm.

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its internal degrees of freedom for vibration, that's where the atomic dipole movement comes in.

nithin said:
I have a question. Assuming I have oil at 80 degrees in a copper calorimetry cup, will the heat loss by thermal radiation be very high and will it affect my values?

I am thinking that it would not and that it would be negligible. But i do not know why. I heard somewhere that it would be high due to copper not having a dipole movement. Can someone please explain to me why?
See the discussion of radiation heat transport and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan.html

Let Thot = 80°C or 353 K and Tcold = 25° or 298 K. One must use absolute temperature in the S-B law.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by objects due to their temperature. It is a form of heat transfer that does not require a medium, meaning it can travel through a vacuum.

2. How does copper interact with thermal radiation?

Copper is a good conductor of heat, so it is able to absorb thermal radiation and transfer the energy throughout its structure. It is also a good reflector of thermal radiation, meaning it can bounce the radiation off its surface instead of absorbing it.

3. Does the color of copper affect its thermal radiation properties?

Yes, the color of copper can affect its thermal radiation properties. Darker copper, such as oxidized or tarnished copper, will absorb more thermal radiation compared to lighter, polished copper.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and thermal radiation in copper?

The amount of thermal radiation emitted by copper is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of copper increases, so does the amount of thermal radiation it emits.

5. How is thermal radiation important for copper in industrial applications?

Thermal radiation plays a crucial role in many industrial applications involving copper. For example, in electronic devices, thermal radiation helps to dissipate heat and prevent overheating. In thermal solar panels, copper is used to absorb and transfer thermal radiation from the sun to heat water or air. Additionally, thermal radiation is important for understanding and controlling the heat transfer in various manufacturing processes involving copper, such as welding and brazing.