Thermodynamics Conceptual Question

In summary, the problem at hand involves a steady state system with air flowing through a ducting with two inlets and one exit. Heat transfer and potential energy change are not factors. The known information includes the mass flow rates and velocities at all inlets and exits. The objective is to determine the rate of change in kinetic energy for the stream flowing from an inlet to the outlet. The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2*mass*velocity^2. To find the rate of change in kinetic energy, the equation for the derivative of kinetic energy can be used, which is d(KE)/dt = 1/2*mass*(velocity)^2. However, more specific information is needed to solve the problem.
boeing9379

Homework Statement

I have a system with air flowing through a ducting with two inlets and one exit operating at steady state. There is no heat transfer or potential energy change. I know the mass flow rates and velocities at all inlets and exits. How would I go about finding the rate of change in kinetic energy for the stream flowing from point 2, an inlet, to point 3, the outlet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know exactly what the rate of change of kinetic energy between one of the inlets and the exit means, so I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the rate of change in the kinetic energies of the inlets and outlet per minute or second? [tex] K.E. = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Adding to what crims0ned suggested

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(KE) = \frac{1}{2} \dot{m}v^2[/tex]

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these quantities behave and interact in different systems, including gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

4. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the total entropy (measure of disorder) will always increase over time. This means that systems tend to move towards a state of maximum disorder or randomness.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics is applied in many areas of our daily lives, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in understanding weather patterns, chemical reactions, and biological processes in living organisms.