1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: find internal energy given the equation of state

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    Given the following equation of state and [itex]C_p = 3R[/itex], find the equation of the internal energy in terms of T and V

[itex]
    p(V-b) = RT
    [/itex]

Any clues? I can use also the specific heat at constant pressure or volume. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you tried applying what you know about "internal energy" from your coursework so far?
    Same with specific heats.

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    Observation: I changed a little the statement of the problem, as I noticed I had additional constraints.

Now to the problem: I have found the equation (which I didn't remember...)

[itex] dU =C_{V}dT +\left[T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} - p\right]dV [/itex]

So with the equation of state it gives:

[itex] \dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\dfrac{R}{V-b}T\right) = \dfrac{R}{V-b}[/itex]

And including it in the previous equation:

[itex] dU = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - p\right]dV = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - \dfrac{R}{V-b}T \right]dV = C_{V}dT[/itex]

Now, to put [itex]C_{V}[/itex] in terms of [itex]C_{P}[/itex] we have the relation:

[itex]C_p - C_V = T \left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}[/itex]

The terms of which we can find with the equation of state:

[itex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{V-b} \qquad \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{p}[/itex]

So

[itex]C_p - C_V = \cdots = R \Rightarrow C_V = C_p - R = 2R[/itex]

And finally [itex]dU = C_{V}dT= 2R dT[/itex] so [itex]\Delta U = 2R \Delta T[/itex]

Is it alright? Any problem with not determining [itex]U[/itex] but [itex]\Delta U[/itex]?

5. Jun 26, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I dunno - its your course.

Note: you had $$\frac{dU}{dT}=2R$$ ... so why not treat it like an initial value problem? What is U when T=0K?

6. Jun 26, 2013 #5
    Well, I'm not sure of the initial condition, that's why I asked ;)
    I guess it must be zero internal energy when temperature is zero, so then we can drop de deltas.

7. Jun 26, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There you go.

All you need for an "initial" condition is any known value.
    The problem statement will not always include all the information you are expected to use.

Note: U=0 @ T=0 would be the classical interpretation - IRL you still have zero-point energy corresponding to the QM ground state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted