Thermodynamics: find internal energy given the equation of state

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the internal energy in terms of temperature and volume, given the equation of state and the specific heat at constant pressure. The participant uses the equation dU = C_VdT + [T(R/(V-b)) - p]dV to solve for C_V and ultimately determine that the change in internal energy is equal to 2R times the change in temperature. They also discuss the initial condition of U=0 at T=0, although the classical interpretation may differ from the quantum mechanical interpretation.
gerardpc
Given the following equation of state and [itex]C_p = 3R[/itex], find the equation of the internal energy in terms of T and V

[itex]
p(V-b) = RT
[/itex]

Any clues? I can use also the specific heat at constant pressure or volume. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried applying what you know about "internal energy" from your coursework so far?
Same with specific heats.

Likes 1 person
Observation: I changed a little the statement of the problem, as I noticed I had additional constraints.

Now to the problem: I have found the equation (which I didn't remember...)

[itex] dU =C_{V}dT +\left[T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} - p\right]dV [/itex]

So with the equation of state it gives:

[itex] \dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\dfrac{R}{V-b}T\right) = \dfrac{R}{V-b}[/itex]

And including it in the previous equation:

[itex] dU = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - p\right]dV = C_{V}dT +\left[T\dfrac{R}{V-b} - \dfrac{R}{V-b}T \right]dV = C_{V}dT[/itex]

Now, to put [itex]C_{V}[/itex] in terms of [itex]C_{P}[/itex] we have the relation:

[itex]C_p - C_V = T \left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}[/itex]

The terms of which we can find with the equation of state:

[itex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{V-b} \qquad \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} = \dfrac{R}{p}[/itex]

So

[itex]C_p - C_V = \cdots = R \Rightarrow C_V = C_p - R = 2R[/itex]

And finally [itex]dU = C_{V}dT= 2R dT[/itex] so [itex]\Delta U = 2R \Delta T[/itex]

Is it alright? Any problem with not determining [itex]U[/itex] but [itex]\Delta U[/itex]?

I don't know - its your course.

Note: you had $$\frac{dU}{dT}=2R$$ ... so why not treat it like an initial value problem? What is U when T=0K?

Well, I'm not sure of the initial condition, that's why I asked ;)
I guess it must be zero internal energy when temperature is zero, so then we can drop de deltas.

There you go.

All you need for an "initial" condition is any known value.
The problem statement will not always include all the information you are expected to use.

Note: U=0 @ T=0 would be the classical interpretation - IRL you still have zero-point energy corresponding to the QM ground state.

Related to Thermodynamics: find internal energy given the equation of state

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems at a macroscopic level, such as engines, refrigerators, and chemical reactions. It also has applications in various industries, including energy production, materials science, and environmental science.

2. What is internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system due to its microscopic particles, such as atoms and molecules. It includes the kinetic energy of the particles and the potential energy associated with their interactions. In thermodynamics, internal energy is used to describe the energy changes in a system as it undergoes a process.

3. How do you find internal energy given the equation of state?

The equation of state is a relationship between the state variables of a system, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. To find the internal energy, we can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. Therefore, if we know the heat and work, we can determine the change in internal energy using the equation of state.

4. What are some common examples of equations of state?

Some common equations of state include the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas; the van der Waals equation, which accounts for the attractive and repulsive forces between gas particles; and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which describes the relationship between the vapor pressure and temperature of a substance.

5. How is the internal energy of a system affected by changes in state variables?

The internal energy of a system can change when there is a change in the state variables, such as temperature, pressure, or volume. For example, an increase in temperature will increase the internal energy of a system, while a decrease in volume will increase the internal energy due to the work done by the system. However, changes in state variables do not always result in a change in internal energy, as some processes may be isothermal (constant temperature) or isobaric (constant pressure).