Thermodynamics -- Internal Energy of Water

In summary, the initial temperature and pressure of water were given as 20°C and 1 bar respectively. After being pumped to a higher pressure of 10 bar and a temperature of 25°C, the change in internal energy (ΔU) was found to be 2093.5 kJ and the change in enthalpy (ΔH) was found to be 2183.5 kJ. The specific heat capacity (C) for water is not constant in all physical states, and the volume of the water does not change in this scenario. The equations used to calculate ΔU and ΔH were ΔU = m*C*ΔT and ΔH = ΔU + V*ΔP.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Water is initially at P = 1 bar and T = 20°C. 100kg of water is pumped to a higher pressure at which P = 10 bar and T = 25°C. Find ΔU and ΔH

Homework Equations

H = m*h
du = c*dT
dh = c*dT + v*dP

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have looked in my table and found that at P =1 bar, the boiling point is T = 99.63°C. Since my temperature is much lower than that, it can't be super heated steam. Is it compressed liquid? I think once I find this out, I can maybe get the specific volume use it to solve for dh. I'm a little lost on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. It's compressed liquid.

OK thanks, that's what I thought. So my tables that I am provided start at P = 25 bar. I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet, since some of my other problems involve compressed liquid. I found something called Compressed Liquid Approximation. It states that:
u(T,P) ≅ uf(T)
v(T,P) ≅ vf(T)
h(T,P) ≅ hf(T) + vf(T) * (P - Psat(T))

So I think my approach should be to look up u and h on the table for each of the states. Then:
100kg*(u2 - u1) = ΔU
100kg*(h2 - h1) = ΔH
How does this look?

What about using ##\Delta U=mC\Delta T## and ##\Delta H=\Delta U+\Delta (PV)=\Delta U+V\Delta P##?

Right, I was originally thinking that. So is C for water the same in all of its physical states?

dlacombe13 said:
Right, I was originally thinking that. So is C for water the same in all of its physical states?
No

Oh okay I see now, so C = 4.187 kJ/kgK. So I found that ΔU = (100kg) * (4/187 kg/kgK) * (278.15K) = 116,461.41 kJ.
Now I am ready to use that in the equation for ΔH = ΔU + VΔP.
So in this case, volume does not change? And if so, would I have to find volume by using V = m/ρ ?

dlacombe13 said:
Oh okay I see now, so C = 4.187 kJ/kgK. So I found that ΔU = (100kg) * (4/187 kg/kgK) * (278.15K) = 116,461.41 kJ.
Now I am ready to use that in the equation for ΔH = ΔU + VΔP.
So in this case, volume does not change? And if so, would I have to find volume by using V = m/ρ ?
The temperature change is only 5 C, not 278 C. Your equation for the volume is correct.

Oh yes, oops. So then ΔU = 2093.5 kJ
And then:

V = m/ρ = 100kg / 1000kg/m3 ==> V = 0.1m3

ΔH = ΔU + VΔP = 2093.5 kN*m + (0.1m3)*(900 kN/m2) =2183.5 kN*m ==> ΔH = 2183.5 kJ

What is the internal energy of water?

The internal energy of water is the total energy that a certain amount of water possesses due to the motion and arrangement of its molecules. It includes both kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy stored in bonds between molecules).

What factors affect the internal energy of water?

The internal energy of water is affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of molecules present. As temperature and pressure increase, the internal energy also increases. The more molecules there are, the higher the internal energy will be.

How is the internal energy of water measured?

The internal energy of water is measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) using instruments such as a calorimeter. It can also be calculated by multiplying the mass of water by its specific heat capacity and the change in temperature.

What is the relation between internal energy and enthalpy of water?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both internal energy and energy required to overcome the system's pressure. Therefore, there is a direct relationship between internal energy and enthalpy of water. As the internal energy increases, so does the enthalpy.

How does the internal energy of water affect its physical properties?

The internal energy of water plays a significant role in determining its physical properties. For example, at low temperatures, water has a low internal energy and is in a solid state (ice). As the internal energy increases with increasing temperature, water transitions to a liquid state and eventually to a gas state at high temperatures. The internal energy also affects the density, specific heat, and boiling point of water.