1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Waves Help

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1
    The transverse displacement of a harmonic wave on a stretched rope is y = 0.03 cos(2.7 t - 2.9 x), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. A 5 meter length of this rope has a mass of 1.5 kg.
    a) What is tension in rope?
    b) At time t = 0, consider a 1/2 wavelength long section of the rope which is carrying the wave y = 0.03 cos(2.7 t - 2.9 x) between two points which have zero displacement (y = 0). Find the total force exerted by the rest of the rope on this section. Neglect any effects due to the weight of the rope. Use the small-angle approximation where q, sin(q), and tan(q) are all approximately equal to each other.

////////////////////////////////////////
    a) Not too bad. Tension= V^2*mu
    where V is velocity
    and mu is linear density. V=omega/K, thus, v=.9310 m/s
    mu=mass/length...so 1.5kg/5m =.2600N

Tension equals .2600N, which is correct answer.

b) Ok, part b is giving me a headache. I don't know how to start this problem really. I've included a picture to help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted