Triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates

In summary: How should \rho vary?In summary, the given triple integral can be evaluated using spherical coordinates by setting the bounds of \rho from 0 to 1, \theta from 0 to \pi/2, and \phi from 0 to \pi/2. This corresponds to the octant of a sphere with center at (0,0,0) and radius 1.
smashyash

Homework Statement

evaluate the following triple integral in spherical coordinates::

INT(=B) = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^2 dz dy dx

where the limits are:

z = 0 to z = sqrt(1-x^2-y^2)
y = 0 to z = sqrt(1-x^2)
x = 0 to x = 1

Homework Equations

The only thing I know for sure is how to set up the spherical function:

INT_B = p^6 sin(phi) dp d(theta) d(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, how do you evaluate the limits??

I assume it's a cylinder so are the theta limits 0 to 2pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like an octant of a sphere to me.

Dick said:
It looks like an octant of a sphere to me.

Oh, yes. I'm mistaken...

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to finish setting up with new integral...

smashyash said:
Oh, yes. I'm mistaken...

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to finish setting up with new integral...

You already have the integral. You just need the bounds.
Which bounds would correspond to the octant of a sphere?

Dick said:
This is about as easy as setting up limits in spherical coordinates get. Look up a nice picture of what the coordinates in spherical coordinates look like. Like here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html Then picture your octant on top of that.

Thanks you! That's a great visual aid!

I like Serena said:
You already have the integral. You just need the bounds.
Which bounds would correspond to the octant of a sphere?

This is still the trouble I have... visualizing exactly where this sphere is or what it's boundaries are..

I would think that both theta and phi are from 0 to pi/2 and I'm really unsure about p..

[tex]z= \sqrt{1- x^2- y^2[/tex]
is equivalent to saying that z is non-negative and that [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex].
That's the part of the sphere, with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 1, in the first octant.

Normally, [itex]\theta[/itex] would go from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] to cover the entire circle in the xy plane. Here, you only want to cover the first quadrant. How should [itex]\theta[/itex] vary?

Normally, [itex]\phi[/itex] would go from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] to cover the entire half circle from the positive z-axis to the negative z-axis. Here, you only want to go half way, from the positive z-axis to z= 0. How should [itex]\phi[/itex] vary?

Of course, [itex]\rho[/itex] goes from 0 out to the sphere of radius 1.

What is a triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates?

A triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates is a type of mathematical calculation used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves converting the limits of integration from cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ).

Why would I need to use a triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates?

A triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates is useful when dealing with problems involving spherical symmetry, such as finding the mass or charge distribution of a spherical object. It can also simplify calculations for regions with curved boundaries.

How do I convert from cartesian to spherical coordinates?

To convert from cartesian to spherical coordinates, you use the following equations: ρ = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), and φ = cos⁻¹(z/√(x² + y² + z²)). These equations represent the distance from the origin, the angle in the xy-plane, and the angle from the positive z-axis, respectively.

What are the limits of integration for a triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration for a triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated. They can be expressed in terms of ρ, θ, and φ, and may vary depending on the shape and orientation of the region.

In what situations would a triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates be more beneficial than using cartesian coordinates?

A triple integral from cartesian to spherical coordinates may be more beneficial in situations where the region has spherical symmetry or when the boundaries are more easily defined in terms of spherical coordinates. It can also simplify calculations for regions with curved boundaries, making the integration process more efficient.