1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Intergral Problem

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    Hey guys!

Just a quick question. As usual im sure im missing something stupid but if you can help me get my head around it id appriciate it (ie sorry if it seems a mundane error)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of the solid T outside the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 [/tex]
    and inside the sphere [tex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 2z

2. Relevant equations
    Ok clearly given theyre spheres spherical coordinates is the go, but i kinda hit a stang finding the boundary for the radius or rho.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly the first sphere has radius one, but what about the 2nd one? Given its related to 2z it would seem more of an ellipse type thing...

given that the LHS is r^2 i used the relation z = rcos(phi) which gives the upper bound of r as cos(phi)

Does that sound right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=2z[/tex] isn't a sphere, so don't try and make it one.

you might want to start by noting if z<1/2, the x-y cross section of the outer shell is smaller than the x-y cross section of the inner shell... this gives you one bound for z. Try and find the other one.
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    Ah ok fair nuff, will do. Yeh i thought it wasnt a sphere, but the question stated it as one so guess its a misprint. thanks, will give it a go.

EDIT: Ok tried drawing some level curves...not sure theyre right. am i correct in thinking the 2nd function (2z) looks something like a y=x^2 curve but rotated around the y axis (centered about z here though)?

if so how can we use that as our upper bound because it is unbounded (in the z variable anyway) ...

sorry if seems like im making stupid oversights :S

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks a whole lot like a sphere of radius 1, centered at [itex]<0,0,1>[/itex] to me.

This looks very much like a question you're supposed to answer by setting up an integral.
  6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    Knew it was something simple :) guess i shoulda done a few more iterations of th level surface huh

thanks mate
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?