Finding the Mass of a Solid Using Triple Integrals

• Thread starter FunkyDwarf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a solid T outside one sphere and inside another sphere. The questioner is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for help. The responder advises not to try and make the second sphere into a sphere and suggests finding the boundary for the radius or rho. The questioner then tries to draw level curves and asks for clarification on the shape of the second function. The responder points out that the second function is actually a sphere and suggests using it to set up an integral.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys!

Just a quick question. As usual I am sure I am missing something stupid but if you can help me get my head around it id appreciate it (ie sorry if it seems a mundane error)

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the solid T outside the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 [/tex]
and inside the sphere [tex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 2z
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Ok clearly given theyre spheres spherical coordinates is the go, but i kinda hit a stang finding the boundary for the radius or rho.

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly the first sphere has radius one, but what about the 2nd one? Given its related to 2z it would seem more of an ellipse type thing...

given that the LHS is r^2 i used the relation z = rcos(phi) which gives the upper bound of r as cos(phi)

Does that sound right?

Cheers
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=2z[/tex] isn't a sphere, so don't try and make it one.

you might want to start by noting if z<1/2, the x-y cross section of the outer shell is smaller than the x-y cross section of the inner shell... this gives you one bound for z. Try and find the other one.

Ah ok fair nuff, will do. Yeh i thought it wasnt a sphere, but the question stated it as one so guess its a misprint. thanks, will give it a go.

EDIT: Ok tried drawing some level curves...not sure theyre right. am i correct in thinking the 2nd function (2z) looks something like a y=x^2 curve but rotated around the y-axis (centered about z here though)?

if so how can we use that as our upper bound because it is unbounded (in the z variable anyway) ...

sorry if seems like I am making stupid oversights :S

cheers
-G

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=2z[/tex] isn't a sphere, so don't try and make it one.

[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=2z[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2-2z=0[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2-2z+1=1[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2+\left(z-1\right)^2=1[/tex]

Looks a whole lot like a sphere of radius 1, centered at [itex]<0,0,1>[/itex] to me.

This looks very much like a question you're supposed to answer by setting up an integral.

Knew it was something simple :) guess i should have done a few more iterations of th level surface huh

thanks mate
-G

Related to Finding the Mass of a Solid Using Triple Integrals

1. What is the triple integral problem?

The triple integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape by breaking it down into small, infinitesimal cubes and summing up their volumes. It is a type of multivariable calculus problem and is often used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

2. How do you solve a triple integral problem?

To solve a triple integral problem, you need to first determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you need to set up the integral using the appropriate equation and integrate over the given limits. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate volumes, masses, moments of inertia, and other physical quantities for three-dimensional objects. They can also be used to solve problems involving probability, statistics, and optimization.

4. What are the challenges of solving a triple integral problem?

Solving a triple integral problem can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations involved and the need to accurately determine the limits of integration. It also requires a strong understanding of multivariable calculus and the ability to visualize three-dimensional shapes. Additionally, setting up the integral correctly can be difficult for more complex shapes.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving a triple integral problem?

Yes, there are some common mistakes that can occur when solving a triple integral problem. These include incorrect determination of limits of integration, using the wrong integral equation, and making mistakes during the integration process. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to ensure an accurate solution.