Trouble with first order system

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a problem related to first order systems in LTI systems. The problem is attached in a PDF and a Word document showing the hand working is also provided. The need to use LaTeX to make equations more readable is suggested and a link to a thread discussing convolution in LTI systems is provided. It is recommended to present the question in a clear and readable manner, and another option is to post it on the USENET newsgroup comp.dsp.
JamesGoh
Im going over some class notes on LTI systems, and attempted a problem involving first order systems.

I have attached the problem, it is on page 1B.2 of the attached pdf (its in italics)

Also, I have attached a word doc showing my hand working

many thanks in advance

Attachments

• unit step.doc
    24 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
attached files

the attachements are here

Attachments

• systems_lecture.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 1st order hand working.doc
    24 KB · Views: 255
take a look at this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=174635 if you want some general stuff about how or why convolution comes about in a LTI system.

secondly, i suggest that you post your equations using LaTeX so we can read them. it's too hard decoding what you're saying for me to put the time into it.

Am I making any sense after the change to my original post, do i need to consider editting it so it makes more sense ?

sorry, but with limited time and voluntary help, you need to put your question together in a manner that we can simply read it on the page. sometimes LaTeX is not necessary, but, if done right, it sure helps.

i'm using linux, and i can't even read your .doc file. i am not going to go through a great effort just to be able to read what it is you're trying to ask. you have to make that effort to present it to us so that we can read it.

another possibility (but you won't have any tools, like LaTeX) is to post a signal processing question to the USENET newsgroup comp.dsp . then you have to use "ASCII math" notation.

Related to Trouble with first order system

1. What is a first order system?

A first order system is a type of mathematical model that describes the relationship between an input and output variable with a first order differential equation. It is often used to model physical systems that exhibit a change in one variable over time.

2. What are some examples of first order systems?

Some examples of first order systems include the charging and discharging of a capacitor, the decay of radioactive materials, and the growth of populations in biology.

3. What is the difference between a first order system and a second order system?

A first order system has a single first order differential equation, while a second order system has two first order differential equations or one second order differential equation. This means that a first order system has only one input and one output variable, while a second order system may have multiple input and output variables.

4. How do you solve a first order system?

The most common method for solving a first order system is by using the separation of variables technique, where the differential equation is rearranged to have all the variables on one side and all the constants on the other. This allows for integration to be performed to find the general solution.

5. What are some applications of first order systems in science?

First order systems have many applications in science, including in physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model and understand the behavior of various physical systems, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and population dynamics.