Trumpet players, sound intensity level

In summary, the sound intensity level of 30 trumpet players would be approximately 96dB, based on the fact that increasing the sound intensity by a factor of 10 results in an increase in perceived loudness by approximately a factor of 2.
LBRRIT2390

Homework Statement

Five trumpet players have a sound intensity level of 75dB. What would be the sound intensity level of 30 such trumpet players? _______dB

Homework Equations

Increasing the sound intensity by a factor of 10 results in an increase in perceived loudness by approx. a factor of 2.

Beta = (10dB)log10(I/I0)
Where I0 = 1.0x10-12 W/m2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding a ratio and applying that to the 2nd situation but my answers were wrong. Can someone please help me ASAP!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
10 dB=1 bel, and that's 10^1. 100 dB=10 bel, and that's 10^10. 75=7.5 bel, which is equal to what power of ten?

0.75?
3/4?

The 30 trumpeters will be 6 times greater intensity than the 5 trumpeters. The ratio in decibels all "drop out" leaving log(6) = 0.78 (about).
30 trumpeters are louder than 6, so to get the new decibels it is 75 / 0.78 = 96 decibels.

Logic check - 6 x intensity is < 10 x, so we expect the difference in decibels to be < 2x.

cheers!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of sound intensity level and how it is measured. The sound intensity level is a logarithmic measure of the sound intensity, which means that a small change in the intensity level corresponds to a large change in the actual sound intensity. In addition, the human ear perceives a doubling of the sound intensity as an increase in loudness by a factor of 2.

In this scenario, we have five trumpet players with a sound intensity level of 75dB. If we want to know the sound intensity level of 30 such trumpet players, we can use the equation Beta = (10dB)log10(I/I0) to calculate the intensity level.

First, we need to find the ratio of the sound intensity of 30 trumpet players to that of 5 trumpet players. Since we know that an increase in sound intensity by a factor of 10 results in an increase in perceived loudness by a factor of 2, we can say that the ratio of 30 players to 5 players is 6:1. This means that the sound intensity of 30 players is 6 times greater than that of 5 players.

Next, we can plug this ratio into the equation to find the sound intensity level of 30 players:

Beta = (10dB)log10(6/1) = (10dB)log10(6) = 10(0.778) = 7.78dB

Therefore, the sound intensity level of 30 trumpet players would be 7.78dB higher than the sound intensity level of 5 players. Adding this to the initial intensity level of 75dB, we get a final intensity level of 82.78dB.

In conclusion, the sound intensity level of 30 trumpet players would be 82.78dB. It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the trumpet players are all playing at the same intensity level. If some players are playing louder or softer than others, the result may differ.

1. How does a trumpet player manipulate sound intensity level?

Trumpet players can manipulate sound intensity level by adjusting their embouchure, or the way they shape their lips and use air pressure. They can also change the dynamics of their playing, such as playing louder or softer, to affect the sound intensity level.

2. What is the typical sound intensity level of a trumpet player?

The sound intensity level of a trumpet player can vary greatly depending on the player's skill level, the type of trumpet used, and the environment they are playing in. However, on average, a trumpet player can produce sound intensity levels ranging from 85 decibels (dBA) to over 100 dBA.

3. Can the sound intensity level of a trumpet cause hearing damage?

Yes, prolonged exposure to high sound intensity levels from a trumpet can cause hearing damage. It is recommended for trumpet players to wear earplugs or use other forms of hearing protection to reduce the risk of damage.

4. How does the sound intensity level of a trumpet player compare to other instruments?

The sound intensity level of a trumpet player is relatively high compared to other instruments. For example, a violin can produce sound intensity levels of around 80 dBA, while a trumpet can reach up to 100 dBA or more.

5. What factors can affect the sound intensity level of a trumpet player?

The sound intensity level of a trumpet player can be affected by several factors, including the player's skill level, the type of trumpet and mouthpiece used, the environment they are playing in, and the dynamics of their playing. Other external factors such as the acoustics of the performance space and the presence of amplification can also play a role.