Two photons forms a particle

In summary: I've yet to learn. I always try to solve problems in the order they're given. I think it makes my thoughts more organized but it makes me less flexible.
budafeet57

Homework Statement

Imagine that we discover a new particle, called P particle by a head-on collision of two photons of energies 500 Mev and 200 MeV. The photons are annihilated in the process.
a) what is the mass of the newly discovered particle P?
b) what is the kinetic energy of the P particles produced in this reaction?
c) what is the momentum of the P particles?
d) what is the velocity of the P particles(magnitude and direction)

Homework Equations

E = mc^2
K = p^2/2m
momentum: p1 + p2 = pf, where p1 and p2 have opposite signs
so E1/c + E2/c = 500/c + -200/c = pf = 300/c

The Attempt at a Solution

a) m = 1.24 * 10^-27 kg = 700 MeV/c^2

one possibility because all energy goes into creating particle:
b) KE = 0
c) p = 0
d) v = 0

second possibility
b) KE = 700 MeV
c) p = 300 MeV /c
d)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that we discover a new particle, called P particle by a head-on collision of two photons of energies 500 Mev and 200 MeV
Since ##E=h\nu = pc## then the photons don't have equal momenta.

Since no other particles are involved, can you end up with zero net momentum for the particle?

In photon-photon collisions - how many conservation laws are involved?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Since ##E=h\nu = pc##

Since the photons have different momenta, and no other particles are involved, can you cannot end up with zero net momentum for the particle?

In photon-photon collisions - how many conservation laws are involved?

right... it cannot be zero momentum.

conservation of energy:
E1 + E2 = Ef
200 + 500 = 700 MeV
E = K + mc^2 where mc^2 = 700 MeV and K = 0?

and conservation of momentum:
p1 + p2 = pf

are these all?

oh, there's E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

Where did you get mc^2=700Mev?
You know the initial energies and momenta, so you can calculate the final energy and momentum. You haven't done anything with mass yet.

budafeet57 said:
right... it cannot be zero momentum.

conservation of energy:
E1 + E2 = Ef
200 + 500 = 700 MeV
E = K + mc^2 where mc^2 = 700 MeV and K = 0?
If K=0, then p=0 (since ##K=p^2/2m##), and you just said that momentum cannot be zero.

This last relation is just one equation with two variables ... rest-mass and momentum You need another equation with momentum in it to get a unique solution.
and conservation of momentum:
p1 + p2 = pf
are these all?
Conservation laws? Charge - lepton number - angular momentum... etc etc... how many can you think of? All of them have to be obeyed.

The point is that you have to consider more than just conservation of energy
oh, there's E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2
Total energy ... yep. Also ##E=\gamma mc^2## ... the equation you did before was for the non-relativistic case.

frogjg2003 said:
Where did you get mc^2=700Mev?
You know the initial energies and momenta, so you can calculate the final energy and momentum. You haven't done anything with mass yet.

I see my problem after a nice sleep lol.

I originally thought all energy from photon goes into creating the particle P, but because there's momentum left so that assumption was wrong and I cannnot use E = mc^2 where E is 700 MeV and thus m = 700MeV/c^2.

Simon Bridge said:
If K=0, then p=0 (since ##K=p^2/2m##), and you just said that momentum cannot be zero.

This last relation is just one equation with two variables ... rest-mass and momentum You need another equation with momentum in it to get a unique solution. Conservation laws? Charge - lepton number - angular momentum... etc etc... how many can you think of? All of them have to be obeyed.

The point is that you have to consider more than just conservation of energy
Total energy ... yep. Also ##E=\gamma mc^2## ... the equation you did before was for the non-relativistic case.

So instead I should use E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 to get mc^2, and get K = E - mc^2, then v.
now I get:
mc^2 = 632 MeV
K = 68 MeV
v = 0.43c

Cool.
Remains only to double-check your units and figure the direction :)

Aside:- I'll show you something:
once you also know
##E_{tot}=\gamma E_0##
it is easy to get gamma a lot becomes quite easy.

eg.
##(v/c)=\sqrt{1-(1/\gamma)^2}##

##K=(1-\gamma)E_0##

Simon Bridge said:
Cool.
Remains only to double-check your units and figure the direction :)

Aside:- I'll show you something:
once you also know
##E_{tot}=\gamma E_0##
it is easy to get gamma a lot becomes quite easy.

eg.
##(v/c)=\sqrt{1-(1/\gamma)^2}##

##K=(1-\gamma)E_0##

Thank you.

direction of particle should be positive x direction because the head-on collision is 1D and velocity is positive.

well ... as written you have two directions of motion in that 1D and you did not define a +ve direction. Which direction is each photon headed in? (If the problem in front of you does not explicitly define a direction to be positive, you should do so at the start. It's usually worth an extra mark in an exam.)

Asking for direction in (d) is a little redundant since the momentum, required in (c), is also a vector. Notice how the answer to part (c) is, along with the total energy, the first of these things you calculate? This is an important lesson for real life too:

You don't have to solve problems in the order presented.

;)

Simon Bridge said:
well ... as written you have two directions of motion in that 1D and you did not define a +ve direction. Which direction is each photon headed in? (If the problem in front of you does not explicitly define a direction to be positive, you should do so at the start. It's usually worth an extra mark in an exam.)

Asking for direction in (d) is a little redundant since the momentum, required in (c), is also a vector. Notice how the answer to part (c) is, along with the total energy, the first of these things you calculate? This is an important lesson for real life too:

You don't have to solve problems in the order presented.

;)

I can define +x and +v to the right side and the 500MeV photon is heading to the right while the 200MeV photon is heading to the left. The final momentum of the particle P will have positive value, which indicates that it's moving toward the right. This is definitely what I should think of in the beginning.

Thank you for very much. I have learned a lot!

No worries - you've been receptive.

What is the concept of "Two photons forms a particle"?

The concept of "Two photons forms a particle" refers to the process in which two photons, which are particles of light, interact and combine to form a single, more massive particle. This particle is known as a boson and is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

How do two photons combine to form a particle?

Two photons combine to form a particle through a process known as pair production. This occurs when the two photons interact and their energy is converted into mass, resulting in the creation of a new particle. This process is only possible in certain conditions, such as high-energy collisions or in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields.

What types of particles can be formed from two photons?

Two photons can form a variety of particles, including elementary particles such as electrons and positrons, as well as more complex particles such as mesons and baryons. The type of particle formed depends on the energy of the photons and the specific conditions of the interaction.

What is the significance of two photons forming a particle?

The significance of two photons forming a particle lies in the fundamental nature of light and the relationship between matter and energy. This concept highlights the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle, and also demonstrates the ability for energy to be converted into matter. It also has important implications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

Is the process of two photons forming a particle observable?

Yes, the process of two photons forming a particle has been observed and confirmed through various experiments, such as in particle accelerators and in observations of high-energy cosmic rays. However, the conditions required for this process to occur are rare and not easily replicated, making it a difficult phenomenon to study.