1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding a schematic diagram

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm an electrical engineering student and in this exercise I'm asked to calculate (and simulate in MicroCap or Multism) voltage gain and output resistance. The problem is that I don't understand how the voltage source (s) is/are connected according to this schematic diagram.

On the left I can see "u1" but then then I also see +10V and +5V. My teacher didn't give me a value for u1, do I need three voltage sources in this circuit or are +5V and 10+ readings I must get by setting a value for u1 based on the given data?

I'm so sorry if the answer to this is too obvious, I'm learning and honestly, I don't get it. That's why I'm here :)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The +10V and +5V are for power supply connections. You'll need a source for each. The u1 is a signal source, typically a small ac signal that is to be amplified. You might want to try a 0.1V ac source to begin with and see what the circuit amplification looks like. Adjust for reasonable results.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks gneill,

That was my first guess but I got confused because I've always worked with one power supply, not with two as in this exercise. Plus I'm new to FET and MOSFETS so I wasn't really sure of what I was doing.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook