Understanding Differential Mode of BJT

In summary: The difference being 9mV, which is about 1.3kT/q = 1.3k*26mV/1.6mV = 21,000. So at room temperature it needs a difference of 21,000 times the thermal voltage to get 9mV different VBE. This is why the current mirror will mirror current very accurately, but not voltage.In summary, the differential mode for a BJT involves two transistors, one with a higher VBE and one with a lower VBE, operating in the linear range and sharing a fixed bias current that is controlled by the input level. The emitter voltage of each transistor will vary accordingly, with the transistor conducting more current having a
kr0z3n
I'm trying to understand the differential mode for a BJT. For the second picture, when we apply +1V to the base of Q1 and 0V to the base of Q2. Why is the emitter voltage .3V instead of -.7V? Similarity, for the third picture, why is the emitter voltage -.7V instead of 1.7V?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 1.46.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 1.46.44 AM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 332
Engineering news on Phys.org
kr0z3n said:
I'm trying to understand the differential mode for a BJT. For the second picture, when we apply +1V to the base of Q1 and 0V to the base of Q2. Why is the emitter voltage .3V instead of -.7V?
Because VBE of the ON transistor must be +0.7V.
Similarity, for the third picture, why is the emitter voltage -.7V instead of 1.7V?
For the same reason. If VBE is any value other than +0.7V it follows that an NPN transistor will not be functioning.

Because Q1 pulls the emitters to +0.3V while Q2 can't sink the voltage. It results from the non-linear behaviour of bipolar transistors, whose emitter current increases brutally if the base-emitter voltage exceeds the threshold.

By the way, 0.7V is not a universal value. A low-power bipolar has rather 0.6V or 0.65V, while many-amps bipolar can have 1.5V, most of it being wasted in the stray resistances to access the emitter and the base.

kr0z3n said:
I'm trying to understand the differential mode for a BJT. For the second picture, when we apply +1V to the base of Q1 and 0V to the base of Q2. Why is the emitter voltage .3V instead of -.7V?
Note the constant current source, I, in the emitter leads. So as one transistor conducts better and takes more emitter current, it deprives the other transistor of an equal amount of current. Whichever transistor has the greater VBE* has the greater IB therefore its emitter (and collector) will take the greater share of the fixed bias current, I.

* being a PN junction it obeys the V-I exponential curve

Back to your first question. If the emitter voltage is 0.3V, then Q1 has VBE=0.7V and Q2 has VBE=–0.3V, whereas if the emitter voltage were –0.7V, then Q1 would have VBE=+1.7V and Q2 would have VBE=0.7V

VBE=+1.7V is impractical here, but let's imagine Q1 was to be given a lot of base current, then it would take all of the available emitter current, I, in turn depriving Q2 of emitter current and turning Q2 off, meaning VBE of Q2 would fall below 0.7V.

NascentOxygen said:
Note the constant current source, I, in the emitter leads. So as one transistor conducts better and takes more emitter current, it deprives the other transistor of an equal amount of current. Whichever transistor has the greater VBE* has the greater IB therefore its emitter (and collector) will take the greater share of the fixed bias current, I.

* being a PN junction it obeys the V-I exponential curve

Back to your first question. If the emitter voltage is 0.3V, then Q1 has VBE=0.7V and Q2 has VBE=–0.3V, whereas if the emitter voltage were –0.7V, then Q1 would have VBE=+1.7V and Q2 would have VBE=0.7V

VBE=+1.7V is impractical here, but let's imagine Q1 was to be given a lot of base current, then it would take all of the available emitter current, I, in turn depriving Q2 of emitter current and turning Q2 off, meaning VBE of Q2 would fall below 0.7V.

So when analyzing the circuit, one of the transistors BE voltage has to be .7 and the other has to be less than .7? If Vbe is greater than .7 then it would be wrong? Also when doing these diff bjt, is it always one transistor on and one off? or can it have both transistors on?

Last edited:
kr0z3n said:
So when analyzing the circuit, one of the transistors BE voltage has to be .7 and the other has to be less than .7? If Vbe is greater than .7 then it would be wrong? Also when doing these diff bjt, is it always one transistor on and one off? or can it have both transistors on?
The extreme limit is when one is on and the other off. Normally they operate in the linear range, so one transistor conducts a little more than the other, according to the input level.

The transistors being on the same chip and therefore "identical", then the base-emitter voltage will be an indication of emitter current, in accord with the normal PN junction characteristic. So the transistor with the greater emitter current may have VBE=0.704V and the other may be 0.695V.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Differential Mode of BJT

1. What is a BJT and how does it function in differential mode?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a type of transistor that consists of three layers of semiconductor material. In differential mode, it functions as a current amplifier, with two input signals controlling the current flow through the transistor.

2. What is the purpose of using a differential mode in BJT circuits?

The differential mode allows for improved stability and noise rejection in BJT circuits. It also allows for a wider range of input signals to be amplified.

3. How does the differential mode affect the gain of a BJT?

The differential mode has a significant impact on the gain of a BJT. It can increase or decrease the overall gain, depending on the configuration and values of the components in the circuit.

4. What are the key differences between common-emitter and differential mode of BJT?

In a common-emitter configuration, the input and output signals are referenced to ground, while in differential mode, the input signals are referenced to each other. Additionally, the common-emitter configuration has a single input signal, while differential mode has two input signals.

5. How do I calculate the differential gain of a BJT circuit?

The differential gain of a BJT circuit can be calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in the difference between the two input signals. This can vary depending on the specific circuit configuration and values of the components.