1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding pressure in fluids

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Okay so I already asked a bit about this, but I think I'm gonna need to post several questions on this to understand it, so here goes:

I understand the definition of pressure, just not how it is applied to fluids. How is pressure in a fluid to be interpreted. Is it the force that the particles that make up the fluid exert on an area in the fluid? I think that is correctly understand, but then I just don't understand why the pressure gets bigger the farther you are down a fluid. Why would the total force that the nearby particles exert on your area (we could imagine a thin disk in the fluid) depend on how many particles that are above you?
    And further I don't even get how you can say things like this (which my book often does): Every little cube inside the fluid is at rest etc etc. Indeed the fluid is never at rest since, the particles that make it up are whirling around! What am I getting wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi aaaa202! :smile:

no, in a stationary liquid, the particles ain't goin' nowhere

they bump up against other particles, and transfer energy to them, but that's it …

the cube stays as it is :smile:

(in a flowing liquid, the cube moves and changes shape slightly, but the particles that make it up stay inside it)

(in a gas, i'm not so sure :redface:)
    yes
    it only gets bigger if there's gravity …

look at a a thick disc …

it's in equilibrium, so the force upward (from below) must equal the force downward (from above) plus the weight of the disc! …

ie pressure below = pressure above + ρgh :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook