Understanding Special Relativity on a Geometric and Intuitive Level

In summary, the subject expert has a bachelor's degree in physics and has gotten an A in an undergraduate special relativity course. He does not feel that he fully understands the subject, but he can do the problems in special relativity which require the various formulas involved in the subject and he even understands the traveling twin paradox where one twin ages less due to his acceleration. He still does not have an intuitive grasp of the subject, and he needs to look at the geometry and not just the equations to really understand the theory. The subject expert says that if time is a dimension similar to space in the same way that an interval is similar to a length (similar, but an interval can only get larger and not smaller with time
MetaMusic
So here's the deal guys: I have a bachelor's in physics and have gotten an A in an undergraduate special relativity course but I do not feel that I fully understand the subject.

I can do the problems in special relativity which require the various formulas involved in the subject and I even understand the traveling twin paradox where one twin ages less due to his acceleration.

Still I don't have an intuitive grasp of the subject. I've come to figure out that to really understand the theory you need to look at the geometry and not just the equations. So far I understand this:

If time is a dimension similar to space in the same way that an interval is similar to a length (similar, but an interval can only get larger and not smaller with time since it is abstracted from direction), then a time axis and a spatial axis can be rotated around one of the other spatial dimensions and when we do this we find that the time axes from the two reference frames differ and the slope between them is seen by us as relative velocity.

Consider two objects standing still: Since the time axes of these two reference frames are angled, one frame's time becomes space seen from the second frame. So the other particles is traveling down his time axis but to us he's traveling down a space axis (to an extent)!

So far so good. But then my mind fails me when I try to conceptualize the notion that simultaneity breaks between reference frames. Obviously if you have two frames of reference with a 30 degree angle between them you can draw a horizontal line in one frame but it won't be horizontal in the other, which means events on the left side of the line will be seen before the other side is seen in the other reference frame since the line isn't horizontal in that frame. But I still don't feel like I understand everything as a whole. Maybe my picture leaves out length contraction. When two 2D Minkowski reference frames have an angle between them the time axes each see the other one as short but the same happens for the space axes. So that would explain length contraction as well as time dilation. I still think I'm missing something though. I can't fully picture it all at once. As though I don't have enough working memory or something.
;(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MetaMusic said:
Maybe my picture leaves out length contraction.

You should not try to visualize the individual relativistic effects separately, but rather the entrie Lorentz transformation as a whole. The below animation after 1:00 shows a visual comparison of Galilean and Lorentz transformations, and how the relativistic effects arise from the later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VMO7pcWhg

Related to Understanding Special Relativity on a Geometric and Intuitive Level

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It also describes how space and time are relative and can be affected by the speed at which an object is moving.

2. How is special relativity different from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the speed of light as a constant and describes the effects of objects moving at high speeds, while classical mechanics only applies to objects moving at low speeds.

3. What is the role of geometry in special relativity?

Geometry plays a crucial role in special relativity as it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. According to Einstein's theory, the presence of mass and energy can warp the fabric of spacetime, causing objects to move along curved paths.

4. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity has revolutionized our understanding of time and space by showing that these concepts are relative and can be affected by an observer's perspective. It also explains how time can appear to pass differently for different observers depending on their relative speeds.

5. What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including the development of GPS technology, which uses the theory to account for the effects of time dilation caused by the speed of satellites. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics, such as in particle accelerators and nuclear energy production.