Uniform Beam (equivalent systems)

In summary, a uniform beam is subjected to a 500N force at 60 degrees to the negative x-axis direction at 2m from A, a 200j N force at 3.5m from A, and a -100i N force at 4.5m from A. To determine the single force and resulting moment equivalent to these forces, the 600N force is broken down into components. The sum of forces in Y is -233N and the sum of forces in X is 350N. The equivalent system is a 350i-233j N force and a 350Nm moment at B. To reduce the system to a singular force, the equation d=M/F is used, where
ste234

Homework Statement

A uniform beam |AE| at 2m from A there's a 500N force at 60degrees to the negative x-axis direction. At 3.5m from A (1.5m from the 600N) There's a 200j N force and at 4.5m from A there's a -100i N force acting 0.5m above the beam.i)Determine the single force which is passing through B (2m from A) and the resuting moment which is equivalent

ii)Reduce the system in i to a singular force (no couple) and determine where its line of action lies on AE using A as a point of reference for distance

(THis is B in the attached PDF)

Homework Equations

For equilibrium:
sum of forces=0
sum of moments=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i)
The 600N force can be broken down to 500Cos60 i - 500sin j = 250i-433j N
Sum of forces in Y= -433+200=-233
Sum of forces in X= 250+100=350
Sum of moments about B= 200(1.5)+100(0.5)=350Nm
Therefore, the equivalent system is 350i-233j N and a 350Nm moment at B.
ii)
I'm not very sure about this. Can I move the moment a certain distance so that it become a force of 350/(some distance from B)
Edited:
I found an equation which says d=M/F (moment divided by resultant force) so in this case it would be 350/(350i-233j)
so would that be 350/420=5/6 m but to which side of B? is 5/6m to the left since its a positive moment. (Anti-clockwise being positive)

Attachments

• me4111 (4).pdf
    204.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore, the line of action of the equivalent force is 5/6m from A in the negative x-axis direction

1. What is a uniform beam?

A uniform beam is a structural element that is designed to carry loads and resist bending. It is typically made of a solid, rectangular cross-section and has evenly distributed weight and stiffness along its length.

2. How is a uniform beam different from other types of beams?

A uniform beam differs from other types of beams, such as cantilever beams or simply supported beams, in that it has a constant cross-section and uniform weight distribution. This allows for simplified analysis and design calculations.

3. What is an equivalent system for a uniform beam?

An equivalent system for a uniform beam is a simplified representation of the beam that has the same external forces and reactions as the original beam, but with a different distribution of those forces. This is useful for solving problems involving multiple beams or complex loading conditions.

4. How do you determine the reactions and internal forces in a uniform beam?

The reactions and internal forces in a uniform beam can be determined using equations derived from the principles of statics and mechanics. These equations take into account the external loads, beam geometry, and material properties.

5. What are some common applications of uniform beams?

Uniform beams are commonly used in a variety of structures, including bridges, buildings, and support frames. They are also frequently used in manufacturing and industrial processes, such as conveyor systems and crane beams.