1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Charge, Electric Field

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 5.38 micro coulombs /m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -3.66 micro coulombs /m and is parallel to the x-axis at y = 0.400m. What is the net magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 0.200m? Give your answer in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.

2. Relevant equations

E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried summing the two electric fields by using the above equation for each uniform charge and adding them together, however the answer is wrong. I also used 1/4pi(epsilon) but it was still wrong, what am i missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Keep i mind that the E-field is a vector field.

Add like a vector instead of just summing, because direction matters.

In this case since they are opposite signs, and your point is in the middle, your answer should be ...

|E| = |E1| + |E2|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?