1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unusual harmonic oscillator.

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves (in the region x>0) under a force F = -kx + c/x, where k and c are positive constants. Find the corresponding potential energy function. Determine the position of equilibrium, and the frequency of small oscillations about it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the potential energy function by integrating -F(x)dx, and the position of equilibrium by putting F=0. I'm having difficulty even starting the third part, I think I have to do it like one does the damped harmonic oscillator. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2
    Hehe, nice question!

Here's a big big hint:
    Work out the potential energy function while setting your plane of reference at the equilibrium point. Look at the expression you get, and examine what happens when [tex]x\rightarrow x_{eq}[/tex]

Differentiate the energy function to find the force, and solve for the oscillations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook