How Does Raoult's Law Apply to Calculating Vapor Pressure in Solutions?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a discrepancy between two solutions to a problem involving Raoult's law. The correct solution should use the mole fraction of the solvent rather than the solute.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/juL6gvGzvWdm.png

Homework Equations

Raoult's law: Pressure of solution = Mole fraction of solvent multiplied by vapor pressure of pure solvent. We're assuming non-volatile solutes.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution:

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/556873_10201073170213135_1235629214_n.jpg?oh=a01e718c3f2218dc3d130fd0007be82b&oe=528964FD

Prof's solution:

http://i.minus.com/jbtmawYMvRpDpX.png

Who's right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, it seems as if he used the mole fraction of the solute instead of the mole fraction of the solvent, which is a major boo-boo.

1. What is Vapor Pressure of Solvent?

Vapor Pressure of Solvent is the measure of the pressure exerted by the vapor of a solvent in a closed container at a specific temperature. It is a property that describes the tendency of a liquid to evaporate and become a gas.

2. How is Vapor Pressure of Solvent determined?

Vapor Pressure of Solvent is determined by measuring the pressure of the vapor above a liquid in a closed container at a specific temperature. This measurement is usually done using a device called a vapor pressure gauge.

3. What factors affect the Vapor Pressure of Solvent?

The Vapor Pressure of Solvent is affected by temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the type of solvent. As temperature increases, so does vapor pressure. Higher atmospheric pressure can also increase vapor pressure, while some solvents have a higher vapor pressure than others.

4. Why is Vapor Pressure of Solvent important?

Vapor Pressure of Solvent is important in many industrial and scientific processes, such as distillation, drying, and chemical reactions. It also plays a role in the environmental fate of solvents and their potential impact on air quality.

5. How is Vapor Pressure of Solvent used in everyday life?

Vapor Pressure of Solvent is used in everyday life in various ways. It is the reason why clothes dry when hung outside, and why water evaporates from a puddle on a hot day. It is also used in the production of perfumes, paints, and other household products.