1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition and motion diagram

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    Mastering physics Knight. 2nd edition.
    A figure shows two dots of a motion diagram and vector [itex]\vec{V}_{1}[/itex] Copy this figure and add vector [itex]\vec{V}_{2}[/itex] and dot 3 if the accelration vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] at dot 2 (a) points up and (b) points down.

[itex]\vec{V}_{1}[/itex] is a vertical vector pointing upward with two points, labelled 1 and 2. With 2 being the topmost point. The vector is 15 mm in length.

The answer in the back of the book shows:
    a) Two vectors with a total of three points. They point up and a acceleration vector next to the second point which points down. The topmost vector is slightly shorter than the bottom one.
    b) Shows the same thing.

I don't understand what's being asked or what there doing here.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    Are the dots supposed to represent position? I would guess that's the case for a motion diagram. It's been a while so I'm not 100% sure, though.

But if that's the case, what can you say about the acceleration based off of what the position is at each dot (I also think with a motion diagram, each dot is separated by an equal amount of time, e.g. 1 dot every 1 second or something - again I'm not 100% sure, though. But that's needed in order to say something about velocity - which I'd assume is the vectors - well, average velocity)

Hopefully someone else can chime in that is more confident.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook