Vector addition and motion diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure in Mastering Physics Knight 2nd edition that shows two dots on a motion diagram with a vertical vector \vec{V}_{1} of 15 mm pointing upward. The question asks to copy the figure and add vector \vec{V}_{2} and dot 3, with two possible scenarios for the acceleration vector \vec{a} at dot 2 (a) pointing up and (b) pointing down. The answer in the book shows two vectors with a total of three points, with the acceleration vector pointing down and the topmost vector slightly shorter than the bottom one. There is some confusion about the purpose of the dots and what can be said about acceleration based on the position at
arukia
Mastering physics Knight. 2nd edition.
A figure shows two dots of a motion diagram and vector [itex]\vec{V}_{1}[/itex] Copy this figure and add vector [itex]\vec{V}_{2}[/itex] and dot 3 if the accelration vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] at dot 2 (a) points up and (b) points down.

[itex]\vec{V}_{1}[/itex] is a vertical vector pointing upward with two points, labelled 1 and 2. With 2 being the topmost point. The vector is 15 mm in length.

The answer in the back of the book shows:
a) Two vectors with a total of three points. They point up and a acceleration vector next to the second point which points down. The topmost vector is slightly shorter than the bottom one.
b) Shows the same thing.

I don't understand what's being asked or what there doing here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the dots supposed to represent position? I would guess that's the case for a motion diagram. It's been a while so I'm not 100% sure, though.But if that's the case, what can you say about the acceleration based off of what the position is at each dot (I also think with a motion diagram, each dot is separated by an equal amount of time, e.g. 1 dot every 1 second or something - again I'm not 100% sure, though. But that's needed in order to say something about velocity - which I'd assume is the vectors - well, average velocity)

Hopefully someone else can chime in that is more confident.

Last edited:

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is used to determine the overall displacement or motion of an object that is subject to multiple forces or velocities.

How do you add vectors graphically?

To add vectors graphically, you must first draw each vector on a coordinate system, with the tail of each vector at the origin. Then, move the vectors so that the tail of one vector is connected to the head of the other vector. The resultant vector is drawn from the origin to the head of the second vector.

What is a motion diagram?

A motion diagram is a visual representation of the motion of an object over time. It consists of a series of still images or frames that show the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at different points in time.

How can motion diagrams be used to analyze the motion of an object?

Motion diagrams can be used to analyze the motion of an object by tracking the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at different points in time. By analyzing the changes in these quantities, we can determine the overall motion of the object and make predictions about its future motion.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that has magnitude but no direction, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity. Vector addition can only be performed on vector quantities.