How to Determine the Distance Between Deer Using Vectors and Cosine Law?

In summary: I will come back to this at some point in the future.In summary, the problem involves three deer (A, B, and C) grazing in a field and the goal is to find the distance between deer A and C. Using trigonometry, we can determine the coordinates of points B and C and compute the distance between them. Alternatively, we can use the sine rule to find the angle BCA and then use the cosine rule to find the distance between A and C.
saac
Vector and cosine law??

Homework Statement

Three deer, A, B, and C, are grazing in a field. deer B is located 62m from deer A at an angle of 51 north of west. deer C is located 77 degree north of east relative to deer A. The distance between deer B and C is 95m. What is the distance between deer A and C?

Homework Equations

fairly new to physics and I am stuck on these types of problems. Not sure how to draw the graph or complete the calculations. Any tips would be appreciated

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Just draw the triangle.
Get some graph paper and select a scale (hint 1cm = 1m).
Pick a direction for north (hint: up the page)
[if north is the y axis, then south is -y, east is +x and west is -x.]

Mark point A someplace handy.
Use protractor to get 51 degrees upwards from the -x axis (N of W)
Draw a line - to scale - 62m long.
Mark the end of the line with a point, label it B.

Follow the instructions like that for the rest.

You can either measure the length needed with a ruler or use trigonometry.

The trig method either resolves each position vector wrt to the x and y-axis to get the points B and C, then compute |C-B|
OR use the cosine rule ... for which you need the angle between the two position vectors.
To do that you need to realize that the E-W line forms 180 degrees.
Your diagram will show you how this relates to the angles you are given.

So i have drawn what i think is correct. Do i now separate the large triangle into two separate ones and then solve Hypotenuse for triangle A-B?

saac said:
So i have drawn what i think is correct. Do i now separate the large triangle into two separate ones and then solve Hypotenuse for triangle A-B?
No. You have a triangle ABC where you know the lengths of two sides, and you know one angle. Using your knowledge of trigonometry, that is sufficient information to determine all angles and all sides.

Do you know the sine rule? If not, try a google search.

If you know two sides and the angle between them, that's the cosine rule.
The sine rule is where you know one side and two angles - one opposite the known side.
But there is more than enough information here that normal trigonometry is sufficient.

You have drawn the triangle ABC?
You have two angles about vertex A (at the origin)?

There are two methods - both equivalent.

1.0 normal trig
1.1 put point A at the origin and +y pointing N
1.2 find the coordinates of B and C (trigonometry)
1.3 compute a = |B-C| (pythagoras)

2.0 shortcut
1.1 put b=|AB|, c=|AC|, find θ = angle BAC
1.2 put these numbers into the cosine rule formula

Simon Bridge said:
2.0 shortcut
1.1 put b=|AB|, c=|AC|, find θ = angle BAC
1.2 put these numbers into the cosine rule formula
We don't know |AC|. So attempting to use the cosine rule yields a quadratic to be solved.

Not such a shortcut.

Oh you are correct, I misread.
In that case you do need the sine rule to find angle BCA - it is a Side-Side-Angle problem.
Well spotted.

Thanks for the replies but I've had to move on as the class is quickly progressing

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. What is the cosine law?

The cosine law, also known as the law of cosines, is a formula used to find the length of a side of a triangle given the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them. It is expressed as c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(C), where c is the side we are trying to find, a and b are the other two sides, and C is the angle between sides a and b.

3. How is the cosine law different from the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle, while the cosine law can be used to find the length of any side of a triangle. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles, while the cosine law applies to any triangle.

4. What is the relationship between vectors and the cosine law?

Vectors can be used to represent the sides of a triangle, with their magnitude and direction corresponding to the length and direction of the sides. The cosine law can then be used to find the lengths of these sides, using the dot product of the vectors.

5. In what fields is the cosine law commonly used?

The cosine law is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving triangles and their sides, such as in navigation, surveying, and mechanics.