Calculating Velocity and Time with Wind: A Homework Problem

In summary: Pythagorean thereomI got the x-component to be 100.8 and the y-component to be 152. The hypotenuse is 182.3.
iam911

Homework Statement

An airplane flies 142 mi/hr with respect to the air. On this day, the air is moving at 52 mi/hr due north with respect to the ground. What would be the velocity of the plane with respect to the ground,vpg, if the plane were pointed in each of the following directions?
How long would it take the plane to cross a state whose eastern and western borders are parallel lines 320 mi apart if the nose of the plane were pointed 45 degrees east of north? The wind is still blowing.

Homework Equations

trig functions. Pythagorean thereom

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have tried doing the problem where when I do 45 degrees east of north, my velocity for the plane is 182.3 mi/h, and then I divide 320 by 182.3 and I get around 1.76, but that is not the correct answer why? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your question is incomplete; In the first part of the question, we are asked what the velocity of the plane is, with respect to the ground, "in each of the following directions." --- WHAT following directions?

For the second part of the question (crossing the state), break the plane's speed into it's x- and y-components. How does the wind affect these values?

The first parts, I had already answered, sorry forgot to delete it from the post, and when I break it I get 100.8 for the x-component and 152 for the y-component, and the hypotenuse is 182.3, but I still can't get the answer unless I'm doing something wrong.

Your values are slightly off ... show us your work so that we can see how you got them.

You have two vectors: the plane's and the wind's. The wind affects the planes heading. Break both vectors into their x- and y- components (the wind's is easy). Add the respective components together. The result is the x- and y- component of the resultant vector (the actual path taken by the plane).

Remember that the time it takes for the plane to travel directly to a specific destination is dependent only on the component of the plane's resultant vector having the same direction as the destination (in relation to the plane's starting point).

iam911 said:

Homework Statement

An airplane flies 142 mi/hr with respect to the air. On this day, the air is moving at 52 mi/hr due north with respect to the ground. What would be the velocity of the plane with respect to the ground,vpg, if the plane were pointed in each of the following directions?
How long would it take the plane to cross a state whose eastern and western borders are parallel lines 320 mi apart if the nose of the plane were pointed 45 degrees east of north? The wind is still blowing.

Homework Equations

trig functions. Pythagorean thereom

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have tried doing the problem where when I do 45 degrees east of north, my velocity for the plane is 182.3 mi/h, and then I divide 320 by 182.3 and I get around 1.76, but that is not the correct answer why? Any help would be appreciated.

I got 182.5 mph, but that's not your problem. Do these borders 320 mi apart run north/south? If so, you are not crossing them at your velocity along track. What was the x component of your wind triangle plot?

1. How do I calculate the velocity and time with wind for a homework problem?

To calculate the velocity and time with wind, you will need to use the formula: velocity = distance / time. Begin by determining the distance and time of the object without wind. Then, use the formula: velocity with wind = velocity without wind + wind speed. This will give you the velocity with wind. To calculate the time with wind, use the formula: time with wind = distance / velocity with wind.

2. What is the purpose of calculating velocity and time with wind?

Calculating velocity and time with wind allows you to determine the effect of wind on an object's motion. This is important in various fields such as engineering, sports, and meteorology, where wind can significantly impact the performance and accuracy of objects in motion. It also helps in predicting the trajectory and landing of projectiles.

3. What units should I use for calculating velocity and time with wind?

For consistency and accuracy, it is important to use the same units for all variables in the calculations. The distance should be in meters (m), and the time should be in seconds (s). The velocity will then be in meters per second (m/s) and the wind speed in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can I use this formula for objects moving in a non-linear path?

This formula is specifically designed for objects moving in a straight line. If the object is moving in a non-linear path, the calculation will be more complex and may require the use of vector mathematics.

5. How do I account for the direction of the wind in the calculation?

The direction of the wind can be accounted for by using vector addition. This means that the velocity with wind will have both magnitude and direction. The direction of the wind should be represented as a vector and added to the velocity without wind vector to calculate the velocity with wind. The time with wind can then be calculated using the same method.