Very difficult Hockey stick puck problem. Please help

• Thread starter madman143
  • Start date
In summary, the hockey puck plus stick experiences a collision in which the puck remains attached to the stick. After the collision, the stick and puck rotate about their combined centre of mass. The angular momentum of the system before the collision is L_cm. The angular velocity of the stick+puck combination is omega.
madman143

Homework Statement

Please help. Have no clue?
A hockey stick of mass m_s and length L is at rest on the ice (which is assumed to be frictionless). A puck with mass m_p hits the stick a distance D from the middle of the stick. Before the collision, the puck was moving with speed v_0 (note: a v with subscript zero) in a direction perpendicular to the stick, as indicated in the figure. The collision is completely inelastic, and the puck remains attached to the stick after the collision.

Homework Equations

i suppose v_f=v_0+m_p/m_s+m_p
but it gives a wrong answer.
As for the others, i have no clue. please help..

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
All you've done is told us a story about a hockey puck. What is the question?

(Unless I'm blind)

:smile:

thats why i called myself madman, innit.
anyway, here are the question, if anyone can have a go at them, id be greatful..
1.Find the speed v_f of the centre of mass of the stick+puck combination after the collision.
Express v_f in terms of some of the following quantities: v_0, m_p, m_s, and L.
2.After the collision, the stick and puck will rotate about their combined centre of mass. How far is this centre of mass from the point at which the puck struck? In the figure, this distance is (D-b).
3. What is the angular momentum L_cm of the system before the collision, with respect to the centre of mass of the final system?
Express L_cm in terms of the given variables (do not use b).
4. What is the angular velocity omega of the stick+puck combination after the collision? Assume that the stick is uniform and has a moment of inertia I_0 about its centre. Your answer for omega should not contain the variable b
5. Which of the following statements are TRUE?

1) Kinetic energy is conserved.
2) Linear momentum is conserved.
3) Angular momentum of the stick+puck is conserved about the centre of mass of the combined system.
4) Angular momentum of the stick+puck is conserved about the (stationary) point where the collision occurs.
i told you it was tough.

It looks like since you arn't give any actual values in the question, you can only answer the question in terms of the variables given.

Try using the formula for completely inelastic collisions.

M1v1+m2v2 = (m1 + m2) V'
OR (mass 1)(initial velocity of mass 1) + (mass 2)(initial velocity of mass 2) = (Mass 1 + mass 2)(Final velocity of both masses as one)

Just try plugging in what you're given.

We had this question on the Mastering Physics online assignment thing last week ;-)

Thats why I wan't to see an attempt at a solution first.

Related to Very difficult Hockey stick puck problem. Please help

1. What is the "Hockey stick puck problem"?

The "Hockey stick puck problem" is a physics problem that involves predicting the trajectory of a hockey puck that is hit with a hockey stick. It takes into account factors such as the initial velocity of the puck, the angle at which the stick hits the puck, and the friction between the puck and the ice.

2. Why is the "Hockey stick puck problem" considered very difficult?

The "Hockey stick puck problem" is considered very difficult because it involves complex calculations and multiple variables that can affect the trajectory of the puck. It also requires a deep understanding of physics principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of projectile motion.

3. How is the "Hockey stick puck problem" relevant to real-life situations?

The "Hockey stick puck problem" is relevant to real-life situations because it is used in the sport of hockey to predict the trajectory of the puck and improve players' skills. It is also applicable in other sports such as golf and baseball, where similar principles of projectile motion apply.

4. Are there any techniques or strategies to solve the "Hockey stick puck problem" more easily?

There are various techniques and strategies that can be used to solve the "Hockey stick puck problem" more easily. These include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using mathematical equations and formulas, and considering external factors such as air resistance and spin.

5. What are the potential limitations or uncertainties in solving the "Hockey stick puck problem"?

Solving the "Hockey stick puck problem" may come with limitations and uncertainties, as it is a complex problem that involves many variables. Factors such as variations in ice conditions, the weight and shape of the puck, and the strength of the player's hit can all affect the accuracy of the predicted trajectory. Additionally, human error in measurements or calculations can also lead to uncertainties in the solution.