Can Recycled Water Flow Uphill in a Pressure System?

In summary, this system allows recycled water to flow back into a pressurized water system, but requires a pump to force it into the water main.
malume
WATER FLOW.jpg
Hi

In this system of water flow, water enters pipe A at x pressure with the aim of pumping it to the house
Excess water or rather recycled water is flowing back via pipe B into pipe A
Is that possible according to the law of physics i.e. will the pressurised water attempt to flow up into pipe B and render the system invalid

Engineering news on Phys.org
Indeed the pressurized water will enter into pipe B.

what can i do to make sure water doesn't flow from pipe A into pipe B but pipe b water must flow into pipe A

billy_joule said:

It should be noted that, on its own, this will still not allow what you have in B to flow into A if the pressure in A is higher. In order to accomplish this you will need a pump of some sort.

Likes billy_joule
Now, let's see if we understand this correctly. Suppose you put a hypothetical black box around the piping and the house. You have water flowing into the black box, but no water leaving. Does that pretty much describe what your diagram says? What do you think is going to happen?

Chet

I'm pretty sure water is leaving the black box - the return is "excess".

I'd like to know why though. This may or may not be code compliant or effective.

A jet pump is used in kind of the way drawn, but AFAIK it is the recirculating water from B drawing in water from the A source.

Why is there even any need for branch B? If we assume the house draws only what it needs from path A then any so called "excess" will just stay in pipe A.

If the house draws too much then the "excess" will have to be re-pressurised in order to inject it back into A or any other pipe at the same pressure.

If you build it as illustrated, water won't go around the loop without a pump.

I think it might help if you explained what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to put recycled water back into a pressurized water system, you will need a pump to force it into the water main. If the water main has a check valve upstream where the home line is connected to it, (I imagine it will) you will only be able to force the water into the main line when it is displaced by consuming it in the house. There is the potential of bursting the line if the pump pressure isn't limited somehow because what goes in must come out somewhere. See attached.

This is all theoretical, I don't know the ins and outs of household plumbing.

Attachments

• WATER.PNG
    WATER.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 409
deckart said:
If you are trying to put recycled water back into a pressurized water system, you will need a pump to force it into the water main. If the water main has a check valve upstream where the home line is connected to it, (I imagine it will) you will only be able to force the water into the main line when it is displaced by consuming it in the house. There is the potential of bursting the line if the pump pressure isn't limited somehow because what goes in must come out somewhere. See attached.

This is all theoretical, I don't know the ins and outs of household plumbing.

By design, I'm sure there is a one-way check valve where the house connects to the water main that feeds it. If there weren't, potentially, anyone could contaminate the water supply by simply pumping a contaminate from their house into the water system.

1. Can recycled water really flow uphill in a pressure system?

Yes, recycled water can flow uphill in a pressure system, as long as the pressure is high enough to overcome the force of gravity. This is possible because water is a fluid and can be pressurized to move in any direction.

2. Is it safe to use recycled water in a pressure system?

Yes, it is safe to use recycled water in a pressure system. The water goes through a thorough treatment process to remove any impurities before it is reused. Additionally, the pressure system itself acts as an extra layer of filtration.

3. How does recycled water move uphill in a pressure system?

Recycled water moves uphill in a pressure system through the use of pumps. The pumps create pressure by compressing the water, allowing it to travel against the force of gravity.

4. What are the benefits of using recycled water in a pressure system?

There are several benefits to using recycled water in a pressure system. It conserves freshwater resources, reduces the cost of water treatment, and can be used for a variety of purposes such as irrigation and industrial processes.

5. Are there any limitations to using recycled water in a pressure system?

While using recycled water in a pressure system has many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. The quality of the recycled water must be carefully monitored to ensure it is suitable for its intended use. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up a pressure system for recycled water can be expensive.