1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves and sound question

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 420 m/s, and the wavelength is 0.14 m. The amplitude of the wave is 1.5 mm. How much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km?

2. Relevant equations

λ x υ= v

3. The attempt at a solution

λ x υ= v
    υ= v/λ= 420/0.14= 3000
    (1000meters)/(0.00152)= (4.444 x 108) T, where T is the period
    t= (4.444 x 108)/ 3000= 1.481 x 10^5

i dont get what i'm doing wrong :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Wow, are you and brookelynn3 in the same class? With the same typo in the question you're posting? How can a particle on the string move a km?

4. Jul 27, 2007 #3

How does the total lateral displacement during one period relate to the amplitude of the wave?

Measuring from zero displacement, the particle moves to full deflection on one side, back to zero to full deflection on the other side, and back to zero in one period.
  5. Jul 27, 2007 #4

Ah, I see that your question has slightly different numbers (weird), and I also see where andrevdh gives a good hint at the end of the other thread about the total distance that a particle on the string travels up and down....

Just click on the green arrow box in the quote to get to the original thread from the last few days.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?