Solving a Problem with Transformer Load Resistance and Source Resistance

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a transformer where the load resistance, turns ratio, and source voltage are given. The goal is to find the source resistance, but the original attempt using a formula yielded an incorrect answer. After further analysis and guidance, the problem was solved by using power calculations and avoiding rounding too soon in the problem.
RigelulZ
Weird Transformer Problem :(

Homework Statement

"In the transformer shown in the figure below, the load resistance RL is 44.0 Ω. The turns ratio N1/N2 is 2.10, and the rms source voltage is ΔVS = 77.0 V. If a voltmeter across the load resistance measures an rms voltage of 26.5 V, what is the source resistance Rs?"

circuit.gif

Homework Equations

See attachment for Equation of Rs

Rs.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in my values for the formula i got for Rs but got it wrong? I got 77.4 Ohms

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Because i sure don't.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Rígel

Physics news on Phys.org

RigelulZ said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in my values for the formula i got for Rs but got it wrong? I got 77.4 Ohms

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Because i sure don't.
How are you analysing the problem?

Can you determine the voltage drop across the source resistance? Can you determine the power in the secondary coil? How is that related to the power passing through the primary coil?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
How are you analysing the problem?

Can you determine the voltage drop across the source resistance? Can you determine the power in the secondary coil? How is that related to the power passing through the primary coil?

AM

Wow, you were absolutely right, i did it through power like you instructed and it worked like a charm.. I also learned not to round too soon into the problem.. :/

Thank you!

1. What is the "Weird Transformer Problem"?

The "Weird Transformer Problem" refers to a phenomenon in which a transformer experiences a sudden increase in voltage or current, often causing damage to the transformer and the electrical system it is connected to.

2. What causes the "Weird Transformer Problem"?

The exact cause of the "Weird Transformer Problem" is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of a combination of factors such as overloading, voltage spikes, and environmental conditions.

3. How can the "Weird Transformer Problem" be prevented?

To prevent the "Weird Transformer Problem", proper maintenance and monitoring of the transformer is essential. This includes regular inspection, cleaning, and testing of the transformer, as well as ensuring that it is not overloaded and is connected to a stable power source.

4. Can the "Weird Transformer Problem" be fixed?

In most cases, the damage caused by the "Weird Transformer Problem" can be repaired. However, it is important to address the root cause of the issue to prevent it from happening again in the future.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with the "Weird Transformer Problem"?

Yes, the "Weird Transformer Problem" can pose a safety risk as it can cause electrical fires and damage to electrical equipment. It is important to address the issue promptly to avoid any potential hazards.