What can Bush do to gain back favor?

• News
  • Thread starter outsider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain
In summary, Bush's suggestions to improve America's relationship with the world are unlikely to succeed. He needs to focus on taking care of America first before worrying about the rest of the world.
BobG said:
Well, maybe Bush has decided the best way to gain back favor is to turn into Jimmy Carter.

Now he's urging Americans to conserve gasoline, helping poor people, talking about the importance of diversity on the US Supreme Court, and he actually seemed to learn something during the time he spent with NORTHCOM generals in Colorado Springs.

In no time at all, all the Republicans on the forum will despise him and all the Democrats will love him. :smile:

In all seriousness, there does seem to be a drastic change in tone over the last week or so. I'm starting to wonder if popular opinion has dropped so far that his administration has decided a change in direction might be in order.

So true - the comparisons to Jimmy Carter. In a matter of several weeks, the man who thought he had a free and clear pass/mandate to enact his own agenda - has been humbled to that of Jimmy Carter.

He keeps taking Presidential trips to the hurricane region, but it doesn't appear to be helping his poll numbers. Today, it was announced that Senator John McCain met with the demonstrating mother (forgot name) of a boy killed in Iraq. That could have been Bush in that one on one! Big points for McCain for 2008 run.

I think Bush is finally going to have to stand up and make his case over his policies and appointments in his administration. He looks worse each day on camera. He could really use Colin Powell right now! Powel could be the guy capable of overseeing the rebuilding of New Orleans - but I believe his interest in working with Bush or any public office is not favorable.

Making sense amidst chaos requires patience, tolerance, and vision.
www.diaceph.com

Physics news on Phys.org
He can try putting his wife on a stupid TV show:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/television/2002522643_weblaura26.html

Oh my God.

Are the American people stupid enough to respond positively to this, or is just Bush stupid for doing it?

WASHINGTON — Facing criticism that he appeared disengaged from the disaster wrought by Hurricane Katrina, President Bush has been looking for opportunities to show his concern. But the White House will take the effort a step further Tuesday, venturing into untested waters by putting the nation's first lady on reality television.

Laura Bush will travel to storm-damaged Biloxi, Miss., to film a spot on the feel-good, wish-granting hit "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." Mrs. Bush sought to be on the program because she shares the "same principles" that the producers hold, her press secretary said.

And... doesn't it still seem more than a little "disengaged" to re-do a single home with all the hoopla of national TV/popular reality series, in light of the thousands of homes that should benefit from such a thing?

This is nuts.

He should say this:

Http://200.49.210.251/chasco/bush.wmv[/URL]
[SIZE=2](Right Click on the link and then Save Target As.. Then Watch the video)[/SIZE]

Yo has to see this speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
pattylou said:
Oh my God.

Are the American people stupid enough to respond positively to this, or is just Bush stupid for doing it?

And... doesn't it still seem more than a little "disengaged" to re-do a single home with all the hoopla of national TV/popular reality series, in light of the thousands of homes that should benefit from such a thing?

This is nuts.
Laura has been used a lot to improve Bush's image--for example Bush has been coached to place her in front of him when the news media shoots footage of them. Whose house will they re-do, Trent Lott's?

Burnsys said:
He should say this:

Http://200.49.210.251/chasco/bush.wmv[/URL]
[SIZE=2](Right Click on the link and then Save Target As.. Then Watch the video)[/SIZE]

Yo has to see this speech.[/QUOTE]
Mui bien. Gracias.

SOS2008 said:
Laura has been used a lot to improve Bush's image--for example Bush has been coached to place her in front of him when the news media shoots footage of them.
Has it ever worked? Her trip to the ME was a laughingstock, wasn't it?

pattylou said:
Has it ever worked? Her trip to the ME was a laughingstock, wasn't it?
I've really felt sorry for her. That must have been stressful, and I must say she was a trooper about it. Interesting though how Hillary was criticized for intervening in her husband's affairs, but when Laura is put to the task it is considered a positive thing.

SOS2008 said:
Whose house will they re-do, Trent Lott's?
Who will get the contract, Halliburton?

Mk said:
Then again, if groups of people all around the world are undercover and waiting for the moment you turn your back you may want to stave them off.

Is the child sick? Or does the child just think he is?
MK, I don't know how you read my post... u must be heartless to imply that the victims of hurricane katrina only thought they were sick. My point was that there was a disaster on the homefront. Protecting your home does not necessarily mean attacking your neighbors (which is what the Bush Administration is doing). Attacking others to free their people feels too much like social services gone mad. The children lose their birth parents, become children of the state until new parents are found and the new parents may not be the best either... sing along: what a wonderful world.

outsider said:
So, what do you propose?

:biggrin: Be tried for war crimes, do time in a zoo in Iraq living with apes in a shed and subsisting on the banana skin people spare him.

*right polly dream on*

McGyver said:
He keeps taking Presidential trips to the hurricane region, but it doesn't appear to be helping his poll numbers. Today, it was announced that Senator John McCain met with the demonstrating mother (forgot name) of a boy killed in Iraq. That could have been Bush in that one on one! Big points for McCain for 2008 run.
He met with Cindy Sheehan, and afterward she called him a "warmonger".

Bush's Job Approval Remains Low
Key Groups Unhappy With President's Performance

WASHINGTON (Oct. 8, AP) - Critical elements in President Bush's political coalition have grown less enthusiastic about the job he is doing, an AP-Ipsos poll found. That's a troubling development for a president trying to firm up his base of support.

Evangelical voters, Republican men, Southerners and Protestants have lost some intensity in their support for the president since the beginning of this year.

The White House is already struggling to keep the Republican base from eroding because of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, hurricane-recovery spending projects, immigration and other issues.

"Politically, this is very serious for the president," said James Thurber, a political scientist at American University. "If the base of his party has lost faith, that could spell trouble for his policy agenda and for the party generally."

The president's overall job approval is at 39 percent - with 21 percent strongly approving. :rolleyes:

The number of people who strongly approve of Bush's job performance has eroded over the last year, most notably among key groups like evangelical voters, down from 49 percent who strongly approved in January to 33 percent now; Republican men, down from 57 percent to 42 percent; Protestants, down from 36 percent to 25 percent; and Southerners, down from 32 percent to 22 percent.

While four of five Republicans say they approve of Bush's job performance, enthusiasm in that support has dipped over the last year.
Funny, most of the Republican/conservatives with whom I've spoken regret voting for Bush. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Bush's Job Approval Remains Low
Key Groups Unhappy With President's Performance

Funny, most of the Republican/conservatives with whom I've spoken regret voting for Bush. :biggrin:
Stranger still was this poll from CBS News poll:

"What do you think is the most important problem facing this country today?"

War in Iraq.......18
Economy/Jobs.....16
Gas/Heating oil crisis.....5
The President/George W. Bush..5
Terrorism (general).....4
Other.......45
Unsure.......7

Bush is moving up the list. He's now considered a bigger problem than terrorism.

BobG said:

War in Iraq.......18
Economy/Jobs.....16
Other.......45
Unsure.......7

Bush is moving up the list. He's now considered a bigger problem than terrorism.
:bugeye: Wow! Of course, a direct matchoff between 'terrorism' and 'Bush' wouldn't see him getting more points... but WOW!

BobG said:

War in Iraq.......18
Economy/Jobs.....16
Other.......45
Unsure.......7

OMG how hilarious! It seems we will have a lame duck president sitting in office for two years instead of the usual 2 months.

Last edited:
What can Bushy do to gain back favor?
RESIGN!

LD
Needed to lengthen the message .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. hops off

Lapin Dormant said:
RESIGN!

LD
Needed to lengthen the message .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. hops off

I think if you take a historical perspective, it seems that presidents who fall deeply out of favor (Hoover, Nixon) only begin to have good things said about them once they die. Everybody is a friend at your funeral. Simply leaving office doesn't seem to do the trick, though.

loseyourname said:
I think if you take a historical perspective, it seems that presidents who fall deeply out of favor (Hoover, Nixon) only begin to have good things said about them once they die. Everybody is a friend at your funeral. Simply leaving office doesn't seem to do the trick, though.
All the more reason then .. .. .. .. Right? :smile: :-p

loseyourname said:
I don't recall much discussion on Hoover, but Nixon (C/O Kissinger) does have achievements to his name. I've posted before that it is often the other way around, using FDR and JFK as examples. I’m not sure how Bush will ever be seen as doing anything good for our country.

Initially he was seen as a "strong leader" in his responce to 9/11 although now he seems to be trying to recapture that feeling and it just isn't there anymore, fear dissapates, over time, if it is NOT re-enforced, and especially if knowledge comes to fill the viod that permitted the fear to take hold in the first place.

After that he will be remembered as the one who removed, from the Most Free Nation, on the planet, the Most of their freedoms. (IMO)

LD
.. .. .. hops /off

A few articles in Newsweek this month:

Finding His Floor
The new NEWSWEEK Poll finds President Bush’s support holding steady despite the DeLay indictment. But even the party faithful are starting to question the GOP.

By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 1:03 a.m. ET Oct. 2, 2005
----------
The bad news is that Republicans’ support, while halting the president’s fall, even after the indictment of DeLay, isn’t resuscitating Bush’s political fortunes.
----------
For instance, a 49-percent plurality of Republicans says their party is “too close to oil companies” and a 53-percent majority says it’s “too close to big business.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9553533/site/newsweek/page/3/

Conservative Crackup
How the neocons have developed a political exit strategy.
By Howard Fineman
Newsweek
Updated: 2:17 p.m. ET Oct. 12, 2005

Oct. 12, 2005 - President George W. Bush may have no military exit strategy for Iraq, but the “neocons” who convinced him to go to war there have developed one of their own—a political one: Blame the Administration.
----------
But now all the constituent parts are—for various reasons—going their own way. Here's a checklist:
Religious conservatives
Corporate CEOs
Main Street: Smaller government deficit hawks
Isolationists
Neocons
Supply-siders - "This is the one faction that the president has yet to disappoint in a major way." He hasn’t raised taxes…yet.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674425/site/newsweek/page/2/

Crossing the Cabal
Whatever the outcome of the Valerie Plame case, it says a lot about how dissent is taken in the White House. Plus, analyzing Bush’s low poll numbers.

By Richard Wolffe and Holly Bailey
Newsweek
Updated: 6:28 p.m. ET Oct. 19, 2005
----------
Those Plunging Polls

…But even if the numbers say little reliable about what will happen in next year’s midterm congressional elections, they speak volumes about the present political woes of the White House. Bush’s approval ratings have declined so sharply this year that he has lost most of his support among independents (who give him an approval rating of just 32 percent), even as he has held on to the vast majority of Republicans.

If the GOP is going to recover over the next year, its target must be those disillusioned independents. That’s a tough challenge given the state of gas prices. It’s even harder at a time when the White House is focused on rallying its conservative base to rescue Miers’s nomination to the Supreme Court.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9756244/site/newsweek/

Widening Rift
With Republicans already battling each other, stem-cell research threatens to split the party further apart.

By Eleanor Clift
Newsweek
Updated: 6:09 p.m. ET Oct. 21, 2005

Oct. 21, 2005 - Conservatives are divided over the Iraq war, Katrina spending and Harriet Miers. They’re warring against each other in Washington and dragging down their party’s approval ratings. Now, the battle is spreading beyond the Beltway to Red State America, where business conservatives have had enough of the religious right’s hold on power and are openly challenging its views.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9776982/site/newsweek/

This article provides a good summary of stem-cell research in general, and ends stating: “That’s the outcome stem-cell advocates must achieve if America is going to reclaim its position as a leader in biotechnology.” -- An important point in itself.

After reading various posts in other threads, I thought I'd reiterate some of what I posted above (post #92), since it is appropriate to the topic of this thread...

There are a few trends we can see. One trend has been to blame congress the most. Bush seems to come out smelling like a rose time and again because of blind loyalty from his base. But who cares, because Bush is going buh-bye.

Dubya is done—he isn’t running for a third term people (and if he could, he’d lose). And ultimately, what will his legacy be? “…43 percent of Americans believe history will see George W. Bush as a “below average president;” 35 say average and only 19 percent say above average” - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9553533/site/newsweek/page/3/
(This 19 percent of the 40% base are the extremists that no one wants in their party anyway.)

So congress is to blame. Well for those who don’t know, congress is comprised of a Republican majority. While Bush is constantly excused for his poor performance, nonetheless the WH coattails have been frayed, so the RNC is having difficulty getting candidates to take the risk of running right now. True, another trend is that of short-term memory. But there will be an increase in DNC opposition, so during campaigns Republican hardball is going to be met with hardball, and all the dirt on the incumbents will actually be exposed/revisited--for a change (i.e., memory refreshers).

There will be a loss of Republican seats in congress. How much is debatable. IMO a Republican majority will remain, but the margin will be narrowed enough to prevent all-out power grabs such as we’ve witnessed in the last few years (thank goodness!). I’m an Independent who has been mobilized, and hopefully the margin will become very narrow because of other Americans like me who believe in checks and balances, and who have been appalled at the behavior of Bush, et al. –

“If the GOP is going to recover over the next year, its target must be those disillusioned independents. That’s a tough challenge given the state of gas prices. It’s even harder at a time when the White House is focused on rallying its conservative base to rescue Miers’s nomination to the Supreme Court.” http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9756244/site/newsweek/page/2/

In the meantime, Republicans can’t even get along with one another. There is disagreement about the invasion of Iraq, Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers--and cronyism in general that led to mismanagement of Katrina, deficit spending is a big issue, illegal immigration/border security, and stem-cell research. If Bush raises taxes on the wealthy and/or big business (which needs to be done), this would result in more disenchantment of the base. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674425/site/newsweek/page/2/ , http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9776982/site/newsweek/

I’m not going to over-estimate this. At the same time I like to see the optimism of conservative PF members (Russ, kat, Pengwuino, etc.) because that means under-estimation is even greater in the general population—which will be to the opposition’s advantage.

As for the presidential race in 2008 – The coattails are frayed, and the Bush base is not a majority (tends not to exceed 40% even in the best of times). That means anyone who was part of the Bush administration can forget it (e.g., Condi). Even Giuliani will be questionable from this perspective. Remember - "Will Giuliani Replace Cheney in ’04?" http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4065772 And remember speculation that he was interested in a cabinet-level position in the Bush administration? Though he is more moderate than McCain, I’ll remember this.

As for McCain, I’ll remember his support for the invasion of Iraq…and his slow half measures in regard to border security and disregard for American jobs in general.

outsider said:
… what America should do to gain the world's trust back and end the war.

Nothing,! The world is coming around quite nicely

outsider said:
Since his attention is diverted from Iraq, the odds of having a clearcut victory will diminish. He needs to focus his energy at home or he may lose both fronts

Since he has already won, “winning” is not relevant.

GENIERE said:
Nothing,! The world is coming around quite nicely
Since he has already won, “winning” is not relevant.
I'm sorry, but I am having a little trouble finding your perspective here.

Nice post SOS. It does look to be a rather daunting task, especially since his favor has been falling, not gaining since this thread was started.

I am still amazed that anyone could vote for a Republican in 2006. Not that I could see many Republicans voting for Democrats. Might be a good year for the Libertarians.:cool:

Republicans control both the House and the Senate, and approval of Congress is lower than Bush's approval.

Will we see the "it's the other representatives, not mine" syndrome?

Or will the odor surrounding the entire leadership of the Republican party still smell when the incumbents come home to campaign for 2006?

Both of California's senators are already democratic. So is my House representative, although I don't know anything about her (I only moved here recently). This is from her bio:

As the Chair of the Democratic Caucus Task Force on Children and Families and the Ranking Member of the House Education Committee’s Subcommittee on Education Reform, Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey is dedicated to giving working families the tools they need to take care of their children. Further, as a Senior Member on the House Science Committee's Subcommittee on Energy, Rep. Woolsey is working to ensure that renewable energy sources, energy efficiency and conservation are an integral part of our federal energy policy.

Anybody have any knowledge of this woman?

loseyourname said:

The tools probably are government grants for day care, paternal maternity leave... things that provide the government with a means to become the caretaker and mind molder of the child. After all, the parents are working to for the good of society and should not be subject to the tedium of raising a child. I confess to knowing nothing about the woman.

Some 10 years ago I spent a week (courtesy of my employer) at the Silverado Country Club in Napa Valley. I had a condo on the 12th hole. I think the area would be a great place to live and raise a family (if thay let you).

loseyourname said:
Both of California's senators are already democratic. So is my House representative, although I don't know anything about her (I only moved here recently). This is from her bio:
Here is her website.
http://woolsey.house.gov/
She is one of the main proponents of an exit strategy for Iraq.
Woolsey Calls on Democrats & Republicans
to Plan Future of Iraq
September 8, 2005
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Lynn Woolsey (D-Petaluma) is calling on Members of Congress and the President to work together to bring U.S. troops home from Iraq, while helping the Iraqis regain control over their country and their future.
http://woolsey.house.gov/latestnews.asp?ARTICLE5110=44547

She is also the first welfare mother to be elected to congress.

Since she first took office in the House of Representatives in 1992, Rep. Woolsey has worked to make children, and their education, our nation's top priority. This commitment stems from her experience as a single mom on welfare. Thirty-five years ago, even though she was working, Rep. Woolsey was forced to go on public assistance to make ends meet while she raised her three small children. Eventually she worked her way off welfare, and today she is the first former welfare mom to serve in Congress.
http://www.woolseyforcongress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=57

At least she has experiential knowledge when it comes to the issues she is most concerned about.

She also sponsored the House resolution 304 to urge the Chinese government to stop suppressing the Falun Gong.

On October 4th, 2004, the US House of Representatives unanimously passed H. Con. Res. 304 urging the Chinese Government to cease its oppression of Falun Gong practitioners in the U.S. and in China. Recently, a Clearharmony reporter interviewed Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, the sponsor of the resolution, and Mr Chris Daly, Council member of the City of San Francisco, who was himself once harassed by the Chinese Consulate.
http://www.clearharmony.net/articles/200412/23441.html

She opposed the creation of the DHS.

Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey has met the enemy, and it is us. To be more specific, it's the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Two years ago, Woolsey, a six-term Democrat who has represented Marin and Sonoma counties in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1992, opposed creation of an overarching federal homeland security department, saying the "attempt at governmental overhaul may take us too far down the wrong road, and may make us less safe."
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/07.28.04/woolsey-0431.html

She also advocated that the boy scouts not discriminate against gays.

http://www.scoutingforall.org/cwoolsey.shtml

She received 72.7% of the vote last election, so chances are she will retain her seat.

Looks like Bush is trying to take step 2 towards winning back favor.

Step 1 was his response to Hurricane Rita and rebuilding the Gulf Coast and his emphasis on diversity on the US Supreme Court. The cost of his rebuilding effort brought some pressure from fiscal conservatives. The 'diversity' he delivered to the Supreme Court fell flat.

Step 2 seems to be the realization that he just can't fight so many fronts at once. Sometimes a member has to be sacrificed for the good of the team (slogan stolen from a demotivational poster of raft shooting the rapids with one poor member who'd fallen overboard). Miers is the first cut. The leak investigation will bring some more cuts (there's a lot folks in the White House screaming "High side, High side!" :smile: ).

It will be interesting to see which fight Bush is making these sacrifices for. If your support from the religious right is trashing him the same way they trashed Frist for stepping out of line, will his next nominee be geared towards winning back their support or will he looking for a new base of supporters? If the second, which fight would a more moderate base support?

Considering the position of many Democrats' position on Iraq (they don't like the war in Iraq, but also realize withdrawing too quickly would be a disaster), his focus might be restricted to the war in Iraq. Iraq is the big issue Bush will be judged on in history. Everything else might be up for compromise.

BobG said:
If the second, which fight would a more moderate base support?.
Alternative, renewable energy and an emphasis on the environment.

Everyone, everyone wants it.

My prediction is that if a candidate can put forth a *real* plan to re-unite the country, on issues that are broadly of concern - like energy independence (which in the long term *has* to involve renewables) - that they will win in a landslide.

that they will win in a landslide.
go for it then Pattylou, I'm behind you 100% ;-)

pattylou said:
Alternative, renewable energy and an emphasis on the environment.
Everyone, everyone wants it.
My prediction is that if a candidate can put forth a *real* plan to re-unite the country, on issues that are broadly of concern - like energy independence (which in the long term *has* to involve renewables) - that they will win in a landslide.
People are asking why we don't have an Apollo type program for alternative energy. I agree, though I would say it should have been started years ago, so in this sense it isn't Bush's fault. But that he has blocked efforts regarding the environment, and supports big business, specifically oil, it makes him all the more culpable.

I don't think it's bush's fault that we're not there yet -

I do think Kerry could have won in spades on the environment and he blew it. He had softball environmental questions thrown to him in the debates and he blew them off. his environmental record is outstanding.

Gore's is too. The difference between Kerry and gore is that Gore is very outspoken about it. He speaks at the Sierra club, and so on. Kerry may have wanted to distance himself from the green image that Gore had... (?)

I think people are ready for this. We have come into this context where people at least *think* we're killing for oil, whether or not that's part of the issue - And rising gas prices, and incredible hurricanes - all of which *may* (or may not) be red herrings in the anthropogenic environmental argument.

But, people are on edge about these things and a candidate could run on energy independence and gentler treatment of the environment.

Anttech - You're crazy. :) But I thiink someone from one of the parties will latch onto this. I'd vote republican if I thought the guy would make a difference on these issues.

Bush’s popularity hits new low
Poll: Majority of Americans question president’s integrity
By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington post
Updated: 10:04 a.m. ET Nov. 4, 2005
----------
On almost every key measure of presidential character and performance, the survey found that Bush has never been less popular with the American people.
----------
According to the survey, 52 percent say the charges against Libby signal the presence of deeper ethical wrongdoing in the administration. Half believe White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove, the president's top political hand, also did something wrong in the case -- about 6 in 10 say Rove should resign his position.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9917012/

More recent polls reflect dismal numbers for Bush.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=anbMHAfJN5jM&refer=top_world_news

Bush's Approval Rating Falls to Lowest Yet, AP/Ipsos Poll Shows

Nov. 4 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. President George W. Bush's approval rating dropped to its lowest level ever, according to an Associated Press/Ipsos poll conducted after a key White house aide was indicted and another withdrew as Supreme Court nominee.

Only 37 percent of Americans surveyed Oct. 31 to Nov. 2 said they approved of the way Bush is handling his job as president, according to a summary of results published on the Ipsos Web site. That's down from 39 percent at the beginning of October and the lowest since the AP/Ipsos poll was first taken in Dec. 2003.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20051103-08272800-bc-us-bushpoll.xml

Bush's job approval falls to 35 percent

NEW YORK, Nov. 3 (UPI) -- U.S. President George Bush's job approval rating has reached a low of 35 percent in a CBS News poll published Thursday.

The network cited the U.S. service personnel death toll surpassing 2,000 in Iraq, an indictment in the leak of a CIA agent's name, the aborted Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers and the hobbled federal response to Hurricane Katrina as reasons for the plunge in support, which also showed 57 percent of those questioned disapproving of Bush's leadership.

The only recent president lower at this point in his second term was Richard Nixon.