What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
gads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKy_gTrdXaU
those were happier days... :blushing: :smile: :blushing: :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A very sad song. :frown:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgokYi-1lI
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
A very sad song. :frown:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgokYi-1lI
A favorite!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of my favourite. I know this one is disliked by many for the reasons i don't know but i love its music. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just listened to Pressed Rat and Warthog again. Cream wrote some pretty quirky stuff, at times. This one is a favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX06inW2hK4
 
Dan Fogelberg wrote and performed some of my all-time "chill" songs. Here are a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDwm3QIwfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEL_qqXGjHU

"The Reach" is especially accessible to Mainers.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHylQRVN2Qs
1985

In his 2010 interview with World Entertainment News Network Sting admitted that the song was inspired by watching the Soviet TV via satellite:

I had a friend at university who invented a way to steal the satellite signal from Russian TV. We'd have a few beers and climb this tiny staircase to watch Russian television... At that time of night we'd only get children's Russian television, like their 'Sesame Street'. I was impressed with the care and attention they gave to their children's programs. I regret...
 
OmCheeto said:
The kids at work are always playing strange music. This was a song that I couldn't comprehend, but it had a catchy tune, so I looked it up.



If someone could explain the song to me, I would be most grateful.

...

Never mind. I just watched the video about 10 times.

I understand now.

:frown:

I don't think much of the lyrics, although we've been enjoying the song. I think I even linked the song in chat some weeks ago.
 
Last edited:
fuzzyfelt said:
I don't think much of the lyrics, although we've been enjoying the song. I think I even linked the song in chat some weeks ago.

One of the lines from the song; "This is how an angel cries", reminded me of; "This is how it sounds when doves cry".

I think it's a well done version of societal psycho-bombardment and self-imposed human angst.

"Blame it on my ADD" - Doctor's diagnosis of what is wrong with him.
"Sail, Sail, Sail" - Tourettes
"Maybe I should kill myself" - Passive aggressive?
etc. etc. etc.

I'm not a doctor, but he seems to just need a big hug. :smile:

But the visual message people are making of this song, says it has a message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QS3uyThYCE

Along with the "Aliens" stuff. ALIenS. (anagram!)
 
Evo said:
A very sad song. :frown:



AHH! Clapton! :!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9jtzCAmf8&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9jtzCAmf8

[Sonny Landreth must be the best slide guitar player in the world. He’s playing behind the slide!? :bugeye:]Also sad... Conor... :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscPOozwYA8&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscPOozwYA8

0.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
Just listened to Pressed Rat and Warthog again. Cream wrote some pretty quirky stuff, at times. This one is a favorite.

Weird... if not knowing, I would have bet $$$ on Monty Python... "atonal apples, amplified heat"... :shy:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They have been playing this on Classic FM a lot recently. Great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2K7D-uMH2g
 
Can't find the yt classics thread, but this song is a classic and a great song too!


Lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:
I don't think much of the lyrics, although we've been enjoying the song. I think I even linked the song in chat some weeks ago.

I tend to make too much of lyrics sometimes. This song, supposedly about insomnia, I was able to translate into the Arab Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNtIkRm1HE

Go without = being poor
till the need seeps in = starving
mumble mumble pedals, stem
eviscerate your fragile frame = self-immolation of Mohamed Bouazizi
a thousand different versions of yourself = scores of copy cat self-immolations across the middle east
and if the old guard still offends = tired of the status quo
they've got nothing left upon which you depend = hopeless for the future
So enlist every ounce, of your bright blood, and off with their heads = Revolution (in the style of the French)
Jump from the hook = take a step back
you're not obliged to swallow anything you despise = decide what you want for yourself

See, those unrepenting buzzards want your life, and they got no right.
As sure as you have eyes,
They got no right.

Just put yourself in my new shoes.
And see that I do all I do.
Because the old guard still offends.
(Their pudgy hearts and slimy hands)
They got nothing left on which we depend.
So enlist every ounce
Of your bright blood.
And off with their heads.

Jump from the hook.
You're not obliged to swallow anything you despise,
That you despise.

Though Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire on 17 December 2010, and the album, "Wincing the Night Away", which contained the above song, was released on January 23, 2007. So my interpretation, is probably fueled by madness/insanity.
 
OmCheeto said:
One of the lines from the song; "This is how an angel cries", reminded me of; "This is how it sounds when doves cry".

I think it's a well done version of societal psycho-bombardment and self-imposed human angst.

"Blame it on my ADD" - Doctor's diagnosis of what is wrong with him.
"Sail, Sail, Sail" - Tourettes
"Maybe I should kill myself" - Passive aggressive?
etc. etc. etc.

I'm not a doctor, but he seems to just need a big hug. :smile:

But the visual message people are making of this song, says it has a message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QS3uyThYCE

Along with the "Aliens" stuff. ALIenS. (anagram!)


OmCheeto said:
I tend to make too much of lyrics sometimes. This song, supposedly about insomnia, I was able to translate into the Arab Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNtIkRm1HE

Go without = being poor
till the need seeps in = starving
mumble mumble pedals, stem
eviscerate your fragile frame = self-immolation of Mohamed Bouazizi
a thousand different versions of yourself = scores of copy cat self-immolations across the middle east
and if the old guard still offends = tired of the status quo
they've got nothing left upon which you depend = hopeless for the future
So enlist every ounce, of your bright blood, and off with their heads = Revolution (in the style of the French)
Jump from the hook = take a step back
you're not obliged to swallow anything you despise = decide what you want for yourself

See, those unrepenting buzzards want your life, and they got no right.
As sure as you have eyes,
They got no right.

Just put yourself in my new shoes.
And see that I do all I do.
Because the old guard still offends.
(Their pudgy hearts and slimy hands)
They got nothing left on which we depend.
So enlist every ounce
Of your bright blood.
And off with their heads.

Jump from the hook.
You're not obliged to swallow anything you despise,
That you despise.

Though Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire on 17 December 2010, and the album, "Wincing the Night Away", which contained the above song, was released on January 23, 2007. So my interpretation, is probably fueled by madness/insanity.


I like your imagination:) ! And agree with the ideas about the "sail" song, in that the repeated lone word seems liberating. Thanks, Om.
 
Last edited:
Willowz said:
Can't find the yt classics thread, but this song is a classic and a great song too!

Have you seen the Finish version?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUdb8Hy1uF4

Hot pants :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHylQRVN2Qs
1985

In his 2010 interview with World Entertainment News Network Sting admitted that the song was inspired by watching the Soviet TV via satellite:


Sting is one of the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27gTrPPAyk&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27gTrPPAyk
1987
 
Last edited:
Very cool TT!
What’s that "thing" I have never seen anything like it... :bugeye: very cool, me want...


P.S. I will respond to the QM 1+1=3 stuff, promise, it’s these Italian neutrinos that has gotten in the way... and they’re so fast I have a hard time to outrun them... ;)
 
Who removed Duran Duran? That’s a great song.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLiVwpv89s

As for ordinary people in an ordinary world, my favorite quote might be useful:
"Galaxies are like people: the better you get to know them, the more peculiar they often seem." -- Sidney van den Bergh​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DevilsAvocado said:
Very cool TT!
What’s that "thing" I have never seen anything like it... :bugeye: very cool, me want...
Hi DA. It's called the Chapman stick.

I like the music you're posting too.

DevilsAvocado said:
P.S. I will respond to the QM 1+1=3 stuff, promise, it’s these Italian neutrinos that has gotten in the way... and they’re so fast I have a hard time to outrun them... ;)
Oh yeah ... ok ... I had forgotten about that. What thread was that in?
 
DevilsAvocado said:
Who removed Duran Duran? That’s a great song.
Some jerk...
As for ordinary people in an ordinary world, my favorite quote might be useful:
"Galaxies are like people: the better you get to know them, the more peculiar they often seem." -- Sidney van den Bergh​

A grand quote. I know many peculiar people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydSHv9ak8E

But they can not hide.

:smile:
 
OmCheeto said:
But they can not hide.

:smile:

That's very true.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRIOKvR2WM

:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIrxhNkiAs


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drsMyeXzLSo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DevilsAvocado said:
Holy pepperoni... (either I’ve gone senile, or I’ve really missed it completely), what a wonderful "bass-guitar-keyboard" instrument... I think I’m in love... :!)

Thanks!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3517250#post3517250"
Yeah, it's a cool instrument. Unfortunately, when I found out about it I already had three years invested in learning the keyboard so I decided to stick with that. But I might still decide to get one.

And thanks for the Martha and the Vandellas tune. I used to hear it on the radio going to work as a teenager.

I'll now explore the 1+1=3 link that you provided.

EDIT: Yes, now I remember. And it remains for you to explain the 1+1=3 thing -- although I have an idea what you're saying. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of veterans of inconclusive and wrong-headed wars could relate to this song. They deserve respect and support even if the political culture, that sent them to war, doesn't.

 
Last edited by a moderator: