What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Viktoriya Yermolyera (YT search: vkgoeswild) plays Muse:"Supermassive Black Hole"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSvmTyhMfVk
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lydia - Now the One You Once Loved Is Leaving

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Vika (vkgoeswild) plays Radiohead: Creep

Vika (vkgoeswild) plays Radiohead: Creep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alaK5BvwiNc
 
OmCheeto said:
We were discussing politics, taxes, and ultimately, rich people, today at work.

It jogged a memory of mine, about what bored rich people do with their money.

But then, my thoughts turned again, to music. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPyNW3vegc​

That's Punchbowl Falls in northern Oregon. You would likely like Kate Bush singing My Lagan Love.
 
Cinematic Orchestra - The Awakening Of A Woman



You might want to sort yourself out with a nice drink and a real easy chair before you indulge! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I haven't promoted this album too much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYxvEvBkjfM​
 
Mose Allison: Parchman Farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5hw9T9Ozv4

Seventh Son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EngRmYu_vs
 
Andre said:
Classical gas by Mason Williams 1968

Why has it disappeared? Why isn't it world famous?

In its time, it was quite well known. We had the whole album, "The Mason William Phonograph Record". Do you remember the somewhat disturbing song about the prince being eaten by his panties?
 
Candy Dulfer, Dave Stewart: Lily Was Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfSQ3lQmJw
 
Why trolls are not allowed at PF...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-Qdrr3XSk​
 
Andre said:
Back in the early 70's as a kid, this song was everywhere. Used as theme song on just about every radio station. So I never bothered to find out what it was, as I was more into classical music. But this was just excellent.

Later I realized that I missed it and when google emerged I tried to find it back googling all kind of things with 'gitar solo'. Nothing.

Today a friend just made me stumbe upon it. I realize that it has been posted years earlier in this thread but not the original one as I remember it.

Classical gas by Mason Williams 1968

Why has it disappeared? Why isn't it world famous?

It's an attempt to make something "classical" kind of "cool" so it's a small niche of people that like it. As a classical guitarist, it kind of drives me bonkers, actually. You spend hours and hours practicing Bach, Brouwer, Villa Lobos, Roland Dyens, etc. and people say "So can you play classical gas?" arghhh!

Ok, since this rant should include a video, here's a jaw dropping performance of Antonio Carlos Jobim's "A Felicidade" arranged by my favorite living composer/arranger for classical guitar, Roland Dyens, performed by Soichi Muraji. It'll make you forget all about classical gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_x28ti2hk
 
SW VandeCarr said:
Viktoriya Yermolyera (aka "Vika") plays Metallica: "Master of Puppets"

She's in the Wiki.

Though I went through my metal phase (in as a teen, then back out and I don't listen anymore) I've always maintained a lot of respect for Metallica's compositions during that period. This is really cool.
 
DiracPool said:
Well, yes, I've been holding out on this one, but now I'm old and tired, and want to leave my (legacy) vote for the absolute best album of all time. [Pink Floyd - DSotM]
Yeah, I love that too -- except for "Money". Lots of people seem to like it, but I always just fast-forward through it.

Incidently, I own every pink floyd album (of course),
I tried to listen to other PF albums after DSotM, but didn't like them. Strange.

Decades later, I happened to buy an audio tape of their "Pulse" concert. (Have you got it?)
They did the whole DSotM really well (better than the original, imho), and also "Wish You Were Here", "Comfortably Numb", and one other ("Run?") also much better than the originals. (The latter now sound quite cheap to me when I hear them. I eventually bought the "Pulse" DVD.

[Edit: Oh, I just noticed a link to the Pulse concert already appears in post #2781.]

but the one I have listened to most over the last 20 years is Atom Heart Mother (AHM). For some reason I can just listen to that over and over and not get bored with it.
Hmm, maybe I stopped listening to their newer stuff too soon.
Could you post a link to whichever track you reckon is the most mind-possessing, pls? :wink:

DiracPool said:
[...] and that is a relief to my psuedo-psychotic
want to "fix" everything.
Hmm, so we do have something in common. :eek:Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Can't see if this one has been linked already but heck it's such a brilliant song that it should be linked multiple times anyways :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkTmPN50u80
 
WannabeNewton said:
Can't see if this one has been linked already but heck it's such a brilliant song that it should be linked multiple times anyways :D

[Pink Floyd, "Time".]
Yeah, someone previously linked the whole DSotM album. It's also on the Pulse concert link.

"Time" is indeed my favorite track off that album. When I'm playing it in the car I usually turn the volume right up. Same with "Comfortably Numb" (the Pulse version only, though).
 
Well, here's something to put you in a more serene mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJugTtU0oEU

If you like it then click on the links in the right for the following parts. It is from a video game called "The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion" which I used to play extensively in junior high school and high school (by extensively I literally mean like 24/7 a day lol). This music overwhelms me with nostalgia, fortunately reminding me of simpler times.
 
WannabeNewton said:
It is from a video game called "The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion" which I used to play extensively [...]
I see I am sadly out of touch. I quit playing D&D so long ago -- large screen graphics and motion on affordable machines were still unheard of. So the quality of the D&D experience depended critically on the DM's skill in weaving images and evoking feelings by little more than storytelling and a talent for projecting a characterization of the imaginary inhabitants of the world. Very few DMs possessed this skill at an advanced level.

So I never got into video games. Maybe something to look forward to in my old age at some future time. :smile:
 
This is the most hip-wiggling funkadelic groove I know. Bill Withers!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
dkotschessaa said:
Though I went through my metal phase (in as a teen, then back out and I don't listen anymore) I've always maintained a lot of respect for Metallica's compositions during that period. This is really cool.

Yeah. The first one of hers that I posted is still my favorite: Master of Puppets (p166, post 2820). Some might be put off by the way she attacks that poor keyboard. She says she broke a string on that grand piano but just played around it! IMHO heavy metal should be played with a heavy hand. She breaks the tension with that beautiful bridge before returning to fire and brimstone..
 
Last edited: