What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Katy Perry's song rocks :-). I love the way her songs portrayed or being base on real life scenarios
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the OP. You're supposed to link to a soundtrack, presenting your choice of the best song ever.

I searched the thread for Vincent of Don McLean but nothing came up, so to make sure we don't miss the everest of greenest evergreen.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
I searched the thread for Vincent of Don McLean but nothing came up, so to make sure we don't miss the everest of greenest evergreen.



I think I have posted that before. It IS one of my absolute favorites.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Olana, by Marc Cohn. Celebrating Frederic Edwin Church. He was the highest-selling living painter of his day, and was eventually laid low by rheumatoid arthritis, and had to switch hands, which greatly reduced his output, and likely in his mind the quality of his work. He spent his later years designing and overseeing the construction of this house on the Hudson River.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
Olana, by Marc Cohn. Celebrating Frederic Edwin Church. He was the highest-selling living painter of his day, and was eventually laid low by rheumatoid arthritis, and had to switch hands, which greatly reduced his output, and likely in his mind the quality of his work. He spent his later years designing and overseeing the construction of this house on the Hudson River.

I'm listening to this song now. Beautiful, imho. Great piano stuff, lyric, vocal, arrangement. Never heard it before. Thanks for posting turbo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
I'm listening to this song now. Beautiful, imho. Great piano stuff, lyric, vocal, arrangement. Never heard it before. Thanks for posting turbo.
Olana is maintained as a public resource, like a park, and is available for people wanting to tour the property, explore the grounds, or just to visit the buildings. "Final masterpiece" is quite apt.
 
ThomasT said:


Beethoven is my favorite composer. Symphonies 3.5,6,7 and 9 as well as some others like the Moonlight Sonata and the Egmont Overture are my particular favorites. Most people single out the third movement of the 9th symphony, but I actually like this movement better. There's a strange short piece of the main theme of the second movement that occurs the third. It really sounds like it doesn't belong there. Was Beethoven being "cute", was it a mistake by someone else, or does this have some deep significance? Beethoven was completely deaf when he wrote this symphony. so is it possible it's his or someone else's mistake? However, I'm sure he would have noticed it in the score. He conducted the first performance himself, but fell behind the music. He was reportedly still waving his wand when the orchestra had finished. Thanks for posting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Over 44 million hits on You Tube indicates Beethoven still is relevant today. The Moonlight Sonata (1st movement) shows how Beethoven could create a powerful mood with a very simple musical structure.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link SW. Nicely done. But I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to piano stuff. Here's a rendition of the Sonata in C# minor, op. 27, no. 2 that I found. It's not clear who's playing it, but whoever it is, they're very good (more than that wrt the presto agitato ... it's so technically perfect that I have to wonder if it wasn't computer enhanced somehow -- I've heard this done a few times by world class pianists and I think this is the best I've ever heard ... but maybe I'm just tired). The adagio sostenuto is of course the most widely known, but my favorite is the presto agitato (beginning at 8:05 in the video) -- imho, one of the greatest piano pieces ever.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU&feature=related
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I may have posted this before...but it's still lovely :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQuxyByUMk
 
lisab said:
I may have posted this before...but it's still lovely :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQuxyByUMk

Sounds like the music from Fallout 3.
 
Andre said:
Talking about roses



Nice Andre :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This number here is currently top of the charts in my brain as an earworm. It's got an infectious, upbeat thing going, that puts me in mind of Queen without sounding exactly like Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApTzmYZ_f5E
 
Strange, I was sure I posted it just a few minutes ago:



(can't be embedded)

Beauty of small things. Sadly, just once I learned about Barney McKenna I also learned he died in April.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Talking about roses



While I love the song and the lyrics, the irony of these words coming from someone who died of a heroin overdose at age 27, is inescapable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kate Bush's surreal Downunder:

 
Last edited by a moderator: