What is the coefficient of Friction?

FnIn summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction between two surfaces using the given information of a 20kg object on a horizontal surface, a 3N force required to keep the object moving at a constant speed, and the formula Ff=uFn. The conclusion is reached by setting up a free body diagram and solving for μk, which equals 0.15. The conversation also clarifies the use of Fnet, μk, and the normal force in the equation.
1irishman

Homework Statement

It says: A 20kg object is placed on a horizontal surface. A force of 3N is required to keep the object moving at a constant speed. What is the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces?
I figured that we know that Ff=uFn and Fn=Fg=mg therefore Fn=20*9.8=196N That's as far as i can go...i am not sure what to do with the 3N force. The answer in the books says that u is .15

Homework Equations

Fn=Fg=mg
Ff=u*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn=20*9.8
=196N
I'm lost from here...not sure what to do to solve for coefficient of friction given horizontal 3N force etc. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a FBD?

Yes I drew a free body diagram, but it does not seem to be helping me.

Are you sure it's 20kg and not 2.0kg?

Because:
Fpush - fk = 0
3 = mu_k*mg
3 = mu_k*(2.0)(9.8)
mu_k = .15, which is your answer.

Now, using 20:
Fpush - fk = 0
3 = mu_k*mg
3 = mu_k*(20)(9.8)
mu_k = .015

Also, 20kg(44.1 pounds) would need a bit more than 3 Newtons of force to push it constantly, or at least I would think.

Last edited:
Yes, it is 20kg in the text, but this text has numerous typing errors so it looks like your mass is correct at 2.0kg based on the answer of .15 for the u value being the correct answer listed in the text. Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions if I may?
Is the Fpush - fk = ma on the left hand side of the equation the Fnet value? What does mu_k represent? Thank you.

Yes, Fpush - fk is Fnet, and since the box is moving at a constant speed, ma = 0. So, Fpush - fk = 0, you know the rest.

mu_k is the co-efficient of friction, μk. μ is mu.

and fk=uFpush right?

1irishman said:
and fk=uFpush right?

No, because fk = μkn.
Where n is the normal force.
Using the two vertical forces from your FBD:
(Fnet)y = n - Fg = 0(since your object is not moving up or down.)
(Fnet)y = n = Fg => n = mg
So, fk = (μk)(mg)

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when one surface moves or attempts to move across the other. It is a dimensionless number that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating maximum friction.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force, and W is the weight.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the smoothness of the surfaces, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact motion?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the amount of force needed to move an object over a surface. A higher coefficient of friction means more force is required, which can affect the speed and efficiency of motion. It also determines the amount of heat generated during motion, which can impact the wear and tear of the surfaces.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering and design to ensure proper functioning of machinery and structures. It is also important in sports, as it affects the performance of athletes and equipment. Additionally, the coefficient of friction is used in safety measures, such as determining the stopping distance of a vehicle on different road surfaces.