What is the difference quotient of ln (x^3 -5)? Picture provided....

In summary: I suppose that refers to what you first said you did not know No i do not ? Well, what do you get if you apply your new knowledge to your last expression in post #9...In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving finding a derivative using the basic definition and applying L'Hopital's Rule. The conversation also includes discussion about forum rules and the use of relevant equations in solving the problem. The final part of the conversation involves the person realizing they know a relevant equation that can help them solve the problem.
Michael Santos
Mentor note: Thread moved from technical math section, so is missing the homework template
20181125_170001.jpg
.[ATTACH=full]234622[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20181125_170001.jpg
    20181125_170001.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 693
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wish you wouldn't write ##\ln ## as ##\operatorname {in}## :rolleyes: :welcome:

Please post in homework and tell us which relevant equations you think you will need to use ...

BvU said:
I wish you wouldn't write ##\ln ## as ##\operatorname {in}## :rolleyes: :welcome:

Please post in homework and tell us which relevant equations you think you will need to use ...
How do i move this over to homework

@Michael Santos, homework questions must be posted in one of the Homework & Coursework sections. I have moved your thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Do not put the problem details in the thread title. They should go in the problem description of the homework template.

All of the work you show in the image can be done using LaTeX. See our tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.

For example, $$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac 1 h \ln\left(\frac{(x + h)^3 - 5}{x^3 - 5}\right)$$
Here's what I actually wrote: $$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac 1 h \ln\left(\frac{(x + h)^3 - 5}{x^3 - 5}\right)$$ All of this is described in our tutorial.

To complete the problem, I don't believe expanding the expression ##(x + h)^3 - 5## is any help. A better way to do this is to use L'Hopital's Rule.

Finally, there is no function named "In" -- the first letter is lowercase L, for logarithm.

Mark44 said:
To complete the problem, I don't believe expanding the expression ##(x+h)^3−5## is any help. A better way to do this is to use L'Hopital's Rule.
Considering he's trying to calculate derivatives using the basic definition, I think L'Hopital's Rule isn't fair game.

After expanding ##(x+h)^3##, you can rewrite the argument of the log in the form (1+something). Go from there.

vela said:
Considering he's trying to calculate derivatives using the basic definition, I think L'Hopital's Rule isn't fair game.

After expanding ##(x+h)^3##, you can rewrite the argument of the log in the form (1+something). Go from there.
Yes the basic definition is what i am after.
Vela, will you be providing me with the rest of the answer?

Last edited:
Michael Santos said:
No, that's against forum rules. @vela has given you a strong hint that involves polynomial division.

Michael Santos said:
Vela here is what i have so far
$$\lim_{h\to 0} {\frac {\ln((x+h)^3 -5) - ln (x^3 - 5)} h} $$
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{\frac {\ln (x^3 +3x^2h +3xh^2 +h^3 -5) -ln (x^3 - 5)} h} $$
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{\frac {\ln (x^3 -5 +3x^2h +3xh^2 +h^3) -ln (x^3-5)} h} $$
I factored and used the product rule
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{{\frac {1} h} ×ln(x^3-5) +ln (1+{\frac {3x^2h+3xh^2+h^3} {x^3-5})} -ln (x^3-5)} $$
I can now eliminate the two $${ln (x^3-5)} $$ terms with subtraction and now i am stuck forever without you aid.

$$\lim_{h\to 0}{{\frac {1} h} ×ln(1+{\frac {3x^2h+3xh^2+h^3} {x^3-5})}}$$

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
No, that's against forum rules. @vela has given you a strong hint that involves polynomial division.
Michael Santos said:
Mark here is what i have so far
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{\frac {\ln (x^3 +3x^2h +3xh^2 +h^3 -5) -ln (x^3 - 5)} h} $$
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{\frac {\ln (x^3 -5 +3x^2h +3xh^2 +h^3) -ln (x^3-5)} h} $$
I factored and used the product rule
$$\lim_{h\to 0}{{\frac {1} h} ×ln(x^3-5) +ln (1+{\frac {3x^2h+3xh^2+h^3} {x^3-5})} -ln (x^3-5)} $$
I can now eliminate the two $${ln (x^3-5)} $$ terms with subtraction and now i am stuck forever without you aid.
What now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know a limit for $$\ln (1+\varepsilon)\over \varepsilon $$ when ##\varepsilon\downarrow 0 ## ?

BvU said:
Do you know a limit for $$\ln (1+\varepsilon)\over \varepsilon $$ when ##\varepsilon\downarrow 0 ## ?
No i do not
It is approaching one

In that case things become difficult. What equations do you have in your toolkit that may help in this situation ? In the template they are called 'relevant equations'.

BvU said:
In that case things become difficult. What equations do you have in your toolkit that may help in this situation ? In the template they are called 'relevant equations'.
Well i know it now, what can i do with it?

Michael Santos said:
Well i know it now,
I suppose that refers to what you first said you did not know
Michael Santos said:
No i do not
? Well, what do you get if you apply your new knowledge to your last expression in post #9 ?

Michael Santos said:
Mark here is what i have so far

What now?

You have
$$\frac{1}{h} \ln (1 + \underbrace{\frac{3 x^2 h + 3 x h^2 + h^3}{x^3-5}}_{H} ) $$
Here, ##H \to 0## whenever ##h \to 0##, so you have ##\ln(1+H)## with small ##|H|.##

Ray Vickson said:
You have
$$\frac{1}{h} \ln (1 + \underbrace{\frac{3 x^2 h + 3 x h^2 + h^3}{x^3-5}}_{H} ) $$
Here, ##H \to 0## whenever ##h \to 0##, so you have ##\ln(1+H)## with small ##|H|.##
How doez that turn into the final answer of
$$\frac {3x^2} { \ x^3-5 \ }$$

Last edited:
Michael Santos said:
Well i know it now,
You have $$\lim_{h\downarrow 0}\ {\ln (1+h )\over h} = 1$$ so what is $$\lim_{h\downarrow 0} \ {\ln (1+ \left(3x^2 \over x^3-5\right ) h )\over h} \quad \rm ? $$

Michael Santos said:
How doez that turn into the final answer of
$$\frac {3x^2} { \ x^3-5 \ }$$

Plug it in and work it out for yourself. Remember that you want to take the limit as ##h \to 0,## so lots of complicating terms will go away.

In another thread, you said you had solved a similar problem. I'm not sure why it's such a mystery now as to how to proceed with this one.

Ray Vickson said:
Plug it in and work it out for yourself. Remember that you want to take the limit as ##h \to 0,## so lots of complicating terms will go away.
So
$$ \frac {3x^2h+3xh^2+h^3} { \ x^3-5 \ } $$ = h?

BvU said:
You have $$\lim_{h\downarrow 0}\ {\ln (1+h )\over h} = 1$$ so what is $$\lim_{h\downarrow 0} \ {\ln (1+ \left(3x^2 \over x^3-5\right ) h )\over h} \quad \rm ? $$

I figured it out thank you.

With @vela I'm still a bit worried. Any questions left over ? Or is everything now crystal clear and the next exercise won't be a problem any more ?

1. What is the difference quotient of ln (x^3 - 5)?

The difference quotient of ln (x^3 - 5) is the rate of change of the natural logarithm function at a specific value of x. It is used to calculate the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How is the difference quotient calculated?

The difference quotient is calculated by taking the limit of the change in the function's output over the change in its input, as the change in the input approaches zero. In other words, it is the derivative of the function at a specific value of x.

3. Why is the difference quotient important?

The difference quotient is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate the slope of a curve at any given point. It is also used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics and economics.

4. How is the difference quotient related to the derivative?

The difference quotient is directly related to the derivative. In fact, the derivative is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero. In other words, the derivative is the general formula for calculating the difference quotient at any given point.

5. Can the difference quotient be used for any type of function?

Yes, the difference quotient can be used for any type of function, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable at the specific value of x. However, for some functions, the derivative may not exist at certain points, making it impossible to calculate the difference quotient at those points.