What is the Flux through the surface?

In summary, the surface flux integral of F = 2xy xhat + (xz - 5xy2)zhat over the surface shown in the figure is given by integrating the electric field over the given surface using the normal vector in the z direction. This results in the integral of (xz - 5xy^2) over the given area.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

Calculate the surface flux integral of F = 2xy xhat + (xz - 5xy2)zhat over the surface shown in the figure. Take n = k.
See Figure

Homework Equations

Flux = Integral (Electric Field * dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the figure the total area is obviously a2. The problem says the "surface flux integral" so I assumed they want the flux? For which you need to integrate what? Just integrating what they gave me seems wrong. I'm a bit confused about what was given and what is wanted. And I have no idea what n = k means, unless they mean the normal vector can be considered the z axis, which would make sense. But I'm still at a loss of what exactly I'm integrating.

Attachments

• 7p2f1.jpg
    7p2f1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
uchicago2012 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the surface flux integral of F = 2xy xhat + (xz - 5xy2)zhat over the surface shown in the figure. Take n = k.
See Figure

Homework Equations

Flux = Integral (Electric Field * dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the figure the total area is obviously a2. The problem says the "surface flux integral" so I assumed they want the flux? For which you need to integrate what? Just integrating what they gave me seems wrong. I'm a bit confused about what was given and what is wanted. And I have no idea what n = k means, unless they mean the normal vector can be considered the z axis, which would make sense. Yes, that's what is meant! But I'm still at a loss of what exactly I'm integrating.
[tex]\vec{F}=2xy\,\hat{x}+(xz - 5xy^2)\hat{z}[/tex] Here is another unit vector in the z direction.

[tex]\int_{S}\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{A}=\int_0^a\int_0^a\ \left(2xy\,\hat{x}+(xz - 5xy^2)\hat{z}\right)\cdot\hat{z}\,dx\,dy[/tex]

Related to What is the Flux through the surface?

1. What is the Surface Flux Integral?

The Surface Flux Integral is a mathematical calculation used in atmospheric and oceanic sciences to quantify the exchange of energy (such as heat or moisture) between the Earth's surface and the overlying atmosphere or water.

2. How is the Surface Flux Integral calculated?

The Surface Flux Integral is typically calculated by integrating the product of the surface flux (measured in units of energy per unit area per time) and the area over which it is occurring. This can be done using numerical methods or through direct measurement using instruments such as eddy covariance towers.

3. What factors influence the Surface Flux Integral?

The Surface Flux Integral is influenced by a variety of factors including temperature gradients, wind speed, humidity, and surface characteristics such as vegetation cover or water content. Other factors such as solar radiation and cloud cover can also impact the surface flux, and therefore, the integral.

4. Why is the Surface Flux Integral important?

The Surface Flux Integral is important because it helps scientists understand and quantify the exchange of energy between the Earth's surface and the atmosphere. This information is crucial for predicting weather patterns, understanding climate change, and managing natural resources.

5. How is the Surface Flux Integral used in research?

The Surface Flux Integral is used in a wide range of research studies, including atmospheric and oceanic modeling, climate change research, and agricultural and ecological studies. It is also used in practical applications such as weather forecasting and water resource management.