What is the formula for calculating frame deflection in a beam problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a standard beam problem and the use of the Yc equation. The answer in the book is (4F(L^3))/3EI, but the person attempting the problem initially gets (2FL(^3))/3EI. It is mentioned that the deflection of E in the y direction must also be taken into account, resulting in a total of 4FL(^3))/3EI.
hatchelhoff

Homework Statement

X_FRAME.PNG

Homework Equations

The answer in the book is (4F(L^3))/3EI

The Attempt at a Solution

I felt the above question could be simplified into a standard beam problem. I choose the following beam.
Simple Support.PNG

I used the Yc equation, but when I replace a with L I get an answer of (2FL(^3))/3EI
[/B]

Attachments

• X_FRAME.PNG
    X_FRAME.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Simple Support.PNG
    Simple Support.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,158
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be ignoring the deflection of E in the y direction. That will increase the deflection at C.
hatchelhoff said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 215748

Homework Equations

The answer in the book is (4F(L^3))/3EI

The Attempt at a Solution

I felt the above question could be simplified into a standard beam problem. I choose the following beam.
View attachment 215749

I used the Yc equation, but when I replace a with L I get an answer of (2FL(^3))/3EI[/B]

Likes hatchelhoff
pongo38 said:
You seem to be ignoring the deflection of E in the y direction. That will increase the deflection at C.
Thanks pongo38. I have taken into account the deflection at E due to F and due to Ra. this gives me 2FL(^3))/3EI.
I then add this to the deflection at F. This gives me a total of 4FL(^3))/3EI.

Related to What is the formula for calculating frame deflection in a beam problem?

What is frame deflection homework?

Frame deflection homework is a type of assignment given to students studying structural engineering or mechanics. It involves calculating the amount of deflection or bending that occurs in a structure under different loads and conditions.

Why is frame deflection important to study?

Frame deflection is an important concept in structural engineering as it helps engineers design and analyze structures that can withstand various types of loads and stresses. It also helps in determining the safety and stability of a structure.

What are the common methods used to calculate frame deflection?

The three common methods used to calculate frame deflection are: the moment-area method, the virtual work method, and the direct integration method. Each method has its own advantages and is used based on the complexity of the frame and the available data.

What are the factors that affect frame deflection?

The factors that affect frame deflection include the type and magnitude of the load applied, the material properties of the frame, and the geometry of the frame. Other factors such as temperature changes, moisture, and structural damage can also affect frame deflection.

How can I improve my understanding of frame deflection?

To improve your understanding of frame deflection, it is important to practice solving problems and working on real-world examples. You can also attend lectures, read textbooks and research papers, and seek guidance from professors or experienced engineers. Online resources such as simulations and tutorials can also be helpful in visualizing and understanding frame deflection concepts.