What is the Impedance Value for a Circuit with Given Parameters?

In summary, to find the impedance (Z) with a given resistance (R=10Ω), source voltage (Vs=120v), and lagging power factor (0.72), use the equations I=P/Vs(PF) and Z=Vs/I. After finding the current (I=4.34A), use the relationship between the power factor and the angle of the impedance (PF=cosθ) to find the angle (θ=43.95deg). Then, using trigonometry, find the inductive reactance (XL=9.64Ω) and use it to calculate the impedance (Z=13.89Ω). This method should give a more accurate result compared to using an
justadaftspark

Homework Statement

Find Z R=10Ω
Vs=120v
(PF)=0.72 Lagging

Homework Equations

I=P/Vs(PF)
Z=Vs/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I have I=P/Vs(PF) and transpose for I to get 4.34A
Then to find Z Z=Vs/I which gives 27.65ohm
When I put this back into (PF)=R/Z to confirm i don't get the right answer

Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
What value do you use for P in your equations?

As an alternative, consider that the power factor is the cosine of the angle of the apparent power phasor, and that the impedance will have the same angle. Here the PF is 0.72 and is said to be lagging, which means the impedance will appear to have an inductive reactance component. You can draw the triangle for the impedance:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59591&stc=1&d=1371387227.gif

You should be able to write an expression to relate XL to given cosine of the angle θ.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 575
Likes 1 person
Thanks for getting back, so

arcos( 0.72 ) = 43.95deg
Tanθ o/a
Tan 43.95 * XL/10 transpose for XL
XL = Tan 43.95*10 = 9.64 ohm
using trig Z^2 = R^2 + XL^2
= Drum roll..... 13.89 ohm

Does this seem closer to the mark? it works when i put it into a known equation

P was from a earlier part of the question which i used to find I

Thank you, its much appriciated

Looks good!

Awesome, Thanks a lot

Related to What is the Impedance Value for a Circuit with Given Parameters?

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition to a change in current) in a circuit, whereas resistance only considers the resistance to the flow of current.

3. Why is it important to find the value of impedance?

Impedance is important because it affects the performance of electronic components in a circuit. By knowing the value of impedance, you can determine the maximum amount of current that can flow through a circuit and adjust components accordingly.

4. What equipment is needed to measure impedance?

To measure impedance, you will need a multimeter or an impedance analyzer. A multimeter is a basic tool that measures various electrical properties, including impedance. An impedance analyzer is a specialized instrument that is more accurate and precise in measuring impedance.

5. How do you calculate impedance?

Impedance can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In other words, Z = V/I. However, for circuits with both resistance and reactance, the calculation becomes more complicated and may require the use of complex numbers.