Can I use my CRO to view sound waves from an audio generator?

• Audio/Video
  • Thread starter Jigga
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speaker
In summary: CRO channel input to the output terminals of the audio generator in order to view the sound waves. The moderator suggests using a good microphone and possible amplifier for better results, but the CRO can also be used to view the voltage waveform. Overall, it is recommended to use the loudspeaker as a rough monitor of the oscillator's output. In summary, it is possible to connect the CRO channel directly to the audio generator's output terminals, but using a good microphone and amplifier may yield better results.
Jigga
<Moderator note: Moved from General Physics.>

Hi there

I have an audio generator (pic attached) with an internal speaker which is very low volume. I have a microphone and CRO and I would like to view the sound waves. The output on the audio generator says 600 ohms. Are these output terminals suitable for driving an external speaker and if so would the speaker need an amplifier? Could I directly connect the CRO channel input to the output terminals of the audio generator?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_124327.jpg
    IMG_20180702_124327.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends upon what you actually want to 'view'. The sound waves from a cheap and cheerful loudspeaker will not be the same as the voltage waveform on the output terminals. To do the job as well as possible, you would need to use a good microphone, placed not too near the unit and (possibly,) use an amplifier to feed the 'scope'. But it is likely that you are more interested in the actual voltage waveform so the 'scope will do what you want and you can just use the loudspeaker as a rough monitor of what the oscillator is producing.

Likes davenn
Jigga said:
Could I directly connect the CRO channel input to the output terminals of the audio generator?

sophiecentaur said:
It depends upon what you actually want to 'view'. The sound waves from a cheap and cheerful loudspeaker will not be the same as the voltage waveform on the output terminals. To do the job as well as possible, you would need to use a good microphone, placed not too near the unit and (possibly,) use an amplifier to feed the 'scope'. But it is likely that you are more interested in the actual voltage waveform so the 'scope will do what you want and you can just use the loudspeaker as a rough monitor of what the oscillator is producing.
yup, you sure can ... great advice from @sophiecentaur for you to followDave

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a speaker?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a speaker, including the size of the room, the purpose of the speaker (e.g. for music or presentations), the power output, and the connectivity options.

2. How do I determine the power output of a speaker?

The power output of a speaker is typically measured in watts. You can determine the power output by looking at the speaker's specifications or by checking the wattage of the amplifier or receiver that will be powering the speaker.

3. What size speaker should I get for my room?

The size of the speaker should be proportional to the size of the room. A larger room will require a larger speaker with higher power output to fill the space with sound. For smaller rooms, a smaller speaker may suffice.

4. What are the different types of speaker configurations?

The most common types of speaker configurations include 2.0 (two speakers without a subwoofer), 2.1 (two speakers with a subwoofer), 5.1 (five speakers with a subwoofer), and 7.1 (seven speakers with a subwoofer). The type of configuration you need will depend on your audio needs and the size of the room.

5. Is it important to consider the speaker's frequency response?

Yes, the frequency response of a speaker is an important factor to consider. It refers to the range of frequencies that the speaker can produce. A speaker with a wider frequency response will be able to produce a fuller, more dynamic sound compared to a speaker with a limited frequency response.