1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to use double and when to use triple bonds?

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1
    I seemed to be confuse when to use double and triple bonds. For example, take CH2O and HCN. How do you know if you can use a triple or a double bond on the carbon and oxygen for CH2O? I know the correct answer is a double bond, with two lone pairs on the oxygen. And for HCN, it is a triple bond on the carbon and nitrogen with only one lone pair on the nitrogen.

But how do you know when to use a triple or double? I am very confused.. is there a rule to know when you can use a double bond, and leave two lone pairs hanging out, or a triple bond with only one lone pair? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well consider the CH2O molecule. The carbon has four free electrons in its outer shell and 2 of those are used with the 2 Hydrogen atoms so it only has 2 bonds left and so forms a double bond with the oxygen. I hope this simple explaination has clarrified things.
  4. Jun 27, 2006 #3
    Oh. I'm so stupid. I almost forgot about that part. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?