Where can I find the free energy for Nitrogen-N2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free energy-volume function and the difficulty in finding it through journals. The mention of a NIST paper and the question of whether the equation for the residual Helmholtz energy can be negative is also brought up. The person asking for clarification has studied the NIST paper and is unsure of the meaning of positive and negative values of alpha_r. They have checked their work and believe it to be correct but lack formal education on solving thermodynamic properties.
only1892
The total (free) energy for single molecule. The better if there is a free energy-volume(pressure) function.
I searched the APS and JCP,JPC journals,still cann't find it.
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe one can search NIST

http://www.nist.gov/srd/PDFfiles/jpcrd593.pdf
A Reference Equation of State for the Thermodynamic Properties of Nitrogen for Temperatures from 63.151 to 1000 K and Pressures to 2200 MPa
Roland Span, Eric W. Lemmon, Richard T. Jacobson, Wolfgang Wagner, Akimichi Yokozeki
JPCRD 29(6) pp. 1361-1433 (2000)

Last edited:
Is negative residual Helmholtz energy possible?

I've studied the NIST paper cited by Astronuc and am wondering:
Is it possible for the equation for the residual Helmholtz energy (alpha_r) to be negative? For consistency with the reference paper, take N2 for instance -- I get alpha_r = -0.0017?

Also, what exactly do positive and negative values of alpha_r mean? I think I have an idea, but I want to see what you have to say.

I've checked and double checked my work and it appears that it is correct. I've just never dealt with nor had formal education on solving thermodynamic properties.

Last edited:

Related to Where can I find the free energy for Nitrogen-N2?

1. Where can I find free energy for Nitrogen-N2 in nature?

In nature, free energy for Nitrogen-N2 can be found in the form of atmospheric nitrogen gas, which makes up about 78% of Earth's atmosphere. It can also be found in organic matter such as plants, animals, and waste products. Additionally, certain chemical reactions and biological processes can release free energy from Nitrogen-N2.

2. Can I create free energy for Nitrogen-N2 in a laboratory setting?

Yes, it is possible to create free energy for Nitrogen-N2 in a laboratory setting through various methods such as electrolysis, combustion, and microbial processes. However, these methods often require a significant amount of energy input and may not be considered truly "free" energy.

3. Is there a way to harness free energy from Nitrogen-N2 for practical use?

While there are ongoing research efforts to develop sustainable and efficient ways to harness free energy from Nitrogen-N2, currently there is no widely used method for practical use. Some proposed methods include using Nitrogen-N2 as a fuel source for vehicles or converting it into ammonia for use in fertilizers.

4. Are there any potential environmental impacts of extracting free energy from Nitrogen-N2?

The extraction of free energy from Nitrogen-N2 can have various environmental impacts depending on the method used. For example, combustion of nitrogen gas can release harmful pollutants into the atmosphere, while nitrogen-fixing bacteria can potentially alter soil nutrient levels. It is important to carefully consider and mitigate these impacts when developing and implementing methods for harnessing free energy from Nitrogen-N2.

5. Can I use free energy from Nitrogen-N2 as a renewable energy source?

While Nitrogen-N2 is a renewable resource, the process of extracting and using free energy from it may not necessarily be considered renewable. This is because it often requires energy input from non-renewable sources. However, with advancements in technology and research, it is possible that more sustainable and renewable methods for harnessing free energy from Nitrogen-N2 may be developed in the future.