Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I find the free energy for Nitrogen-N2?

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1
    The total (free) energy for single molecule. The better if there is a free energy-volume(pressure) function.
    I searched the APS and JCP,JPC journals,still cann't find it.
    Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Maybe one can search NIST

http://www.nist.gov/srd/PDFfiles/jpcrd593.pdf
    A Reference Equation of State for the Thermodynamic Properties of Nitrogen for Temperatures from 63.151 to 1000 K and Pressures to 2200 MPa
    Roland Span, Eric W. Lemmon, Richard T. Jacobson, Wolfgang Wagner, Akimichi Yokozeki
    JPCRD 29(6) pp. 1361-1433 (2000)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Is negative residual Helmholtz energy possible?

I've studied the NIST paper cited by Astronuc and am wondering:
    Is it possible for the equation for the residual Helmholtz energy (alpha_r) to be negative? For consistency with the reference paper, take N2 for instance -- I get alpha_r = -0.0017?

Also, what exactly do positive and negative values of alpha_r mean? I think I have an idea, but I want to see what you have to say.

I've checked and double checked my work and it appears that it is correct. I've just never dealt with nor had formal education on solving thermodynamic properties.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?