1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does ω=sqrt(MgL/I) come from?

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find the frequency of a hoop pivoting on an axle. The hoop has mass M and radius R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously f = ω / 2pi

But apparently ω=sqrt(MgL/I), which you plug into the above. I don't understand where this part comes from, though. L is the center of gravity of the hoop (which is just R).

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will have to explain the problem better. It sounds like the hoop is oscillating like a pendulum but it is unclear why it would do this if the axle is through the centre of the hoop. Is there a diagram?

AM

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Whoops sorry, the hoop pivots through its edge. There was no diagram given, but if the hoop is like a unit circle, then imagine an axle passing through the hoop at the 90 degree position.

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. It is similar to a single bob pendulum with the bob located at the centre of mass (ie the centre of the hoop) BUT with a slight difference.

Analyse the forces the same as you would a simple pendulum, BUT you have to let:

[tex]\vec{F}\cdot{\vec{R}} = \vec{\tau} = I\vec{\alpha}[/tex]

Here is a little more help:

For small angles,

[tex]\vec{\tau} = -mgR\sin\theta \approx -mgR\theta = I\alpha[/tex]

which reduces to:

[tex]\alpha = \ddot\theta = -\frac{mgR}{I}\theta [/tex]

[Hint: Find the general solution to that differential equation ]

AM

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook