Where does ω=sqrt(MgL/I) come from?

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
In summary, the hoop pivots on its edge due to the forces of gravity and the center of mass is located at the edge of the hoop.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the frequency of a hoop pivoting on an axle. The hoop has mass M and radius R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously f = ω / 2pi

But apparently ω=sqrt(MgL/I), which you plug into the above. I don't understand where this part comes from, though. L is the center of gravity of the hoop (which is just R).

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the frequency of a hoop pivoting on an axle. The hoop has mass M and radius R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously f = ω / 2pi

But apparently ω=sqrt(MgL/I), which you plug into the above. I don't understand where this part comes from, though. L is the center of gravity of the hoop (which is just R).

Any help?
You will have to explain the problem better. It sounds like the hoop is oscillating like a pendulum but it is unclear why it would do this if the axle is through the centre of the hoop. Is there a diagram?

AM

Whoops sorry, the hoop pivots through its edge. There was no diagram given, but if the hoop is like a unit circle, then imagine an axle passing through the hoop at the 90 degree position.

jumbogala said:
Whoops sorry, the hoop pivots through its edge. There was no diagram given, but if the hoop is like a unit circle, then imagine an axle passing through the hoop at the 90 degree position.
Ok. It is similar to a single bob pendulum with the bob located at the centre of mass (ie the centre of the hoop) BUT with a slight difference.

Analyse the forces the same as you would a simple pendulum, BUT you have to let:

[tex]\vec{F}\cdot{\vec{R}} = \vec{\tau} = I\vec{\alpha}[/tex]

Here is a little more help:

For small angles,

[tex]\vec{\tau} = -mgR\sin\theta \approx -mgR\theta = I\alpha[/tex]

which reduces to:

[tex]\alpha = \ddot\theta = -\frac{mgR}{I}\theta [/tex]

[Hint: Find the general solution to that differential equation ]

AM

Last edited:

1. What does the "ω" in ω=sqrt(MgL/I) represent?

The "ω" in the equation represents the angular velocity, which is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis.

2. What do the other variables in the equation represent?

"M" represents the mass of the object, "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, "L" represents the length of the object, and "I" represents the moment of inertia.

3. How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived from the moment of inertia formula, which is I=mr^2, where "m" is the mass and "r" is the distance from the axis of rotation. It is then combined with the formula for angular velocity, which is ω=Δθ/Δt, where "Δθ" is the change in angle and "Δt" is the change in time. After simplifying, we get ω=sqrt(MgL/I).

4. In what situations is this equation applicable?

This equation is applicable in situations where an object is rotating around a fixed axis, such as a pendulum or a spinning top.

5. Why is this equation important in physics?

This equation is important in physics because it helps us understand the relationship between an object's mass, length, moment of inertia, and angular velocity. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations for rotational motion problems.